2000 F150 whine in rear axel

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2000, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2000 F150 whine in rear axel

I have a whine in the rear axel of my 2000 F150 Lariat. Does any one else seem to have this problem. I called the ford garage and they told me this was normal, but from what I understand, 8.8 hypoid gear that my truck has should not make any noise. Can any one tell me if they've had this problem or if they know anything that can help me.

Old 07-27-2000, 12:51 AM
You should not hear a thing. The only thing you should hear is maybe alittle wind off of the mirrors. Other than that these trucks are real car-like. Maybe try another dealer.

Old 07-27-2000, 10:58 PM
I feel the same way. After a big hassle with the dealer I bought it from, I decided to take my problem to the ford dispute board. I don't think the dealer thought they would take my case. He told them I was impossible to please. He gave me a 75000 mile warranty but what good is it if they don't repair anything? The dealer also told ford that I had blown off an appointment with him about the problem when I had actually called him and cancelled the appointment because my wife needed to use the truck to go to work that day. When I tried to reschedule, he avoided me. I don't think he thought ford's dispute board would take my case, but they did.

Now i'm just waiting to see what ford has to say. I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one having this problem. The dealer tried to tell me that all of the fords with this differential would make this noise, but it's my understanding that this hypoid gear should be silent--at all speeds. I know that my son's 2000 Econoline van and my other son's 2000 flare side don't make any noise. How do they explain that?

Old 07-28-2000, 02:44 PM
I agree with you and ford-tough1
Your rear axle/direrential should not make any noise. This is my 5th Ford truck, and none of them made any gear noises.Not even a 68 Bronco.
Sounds like the ring and pinion in the diferential were not allinded correctly from the factory. I bet if you opened up the differntal cover you would find the gears wearing unevenly.
You could have a independant shop pull the cover and inspect the gears, but it would cost you labor, and the cost of synthetic gear lube(the stuff is big bucks)

Good Luck
Don

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bullet Cat Back, Superchip,WMS Velocity Tube with modified K&N filter.
Centerline Saber rims 17x8" with Firestone GTA 275/60hr-17 tires.

[This message has been edited by Don C (edited 07-28-2000).]

Old 08-11-2000, 12:04 AM
Question

Homer, I was wondering what gear ratio you have in your truck. Most people I've talked to are having gear noise problems with the 3:55 ratio. your's truly included. Either these gears are not set up properly at the factory or they have to be defective. whats the use of having a new rear end installed if your going to have the same problem. Who knows it could have been a bad production run.Whats the build date on your truck? mine was built 12/99. I'm going to wait awhile before I have mine Replaced. Maybe it will be improved or updated. anyway I hate to make a small problem worse.

Jay

Old 08-11-2000, 09:17 PM
Smile

I had a noise in my 99 F-150 that was in it from Day 1. The truck was noiser in 2WD than 4WD. Go figure! Anyway, the front and rear diffs were taken apart 2-3 times each and parts replaced. The parts replaced included: pinion bearings, side gears front and rear, etc. This was all to no avail. The long and the short of it is this, I'm driving a Y2K F-250 SD SC. Ford has (or had) the 99 F-150. I haven't looked back either.

Old 12-27-2001, 12:49 PM
new tsb on whine

ford has a tsb our recently, has anyone had a chance to check it. It is bullitin # Bc9674961001 #57, It lists a whine between 50-65 mph. I have this with my 3:55 posi........have an appointment saturday.

Trending Topics

Old 12-27-2001, 02:05 PM
My 2000 4x4 3:55LS never made a sound until about a month ago. 21000 miles and just had the pinion bearings replaced yesterday. No more whining!

Old 12-27-2001, 03:00 PM
Yep... same as Harleyrider here, had to replace the pinion bearings in my 2001 Super Crew... it was whining and howling really bad around 40mph.... really sounded bad in town... only made noise under power. I know 3 other guys who had the differential rebuilt on their 2001 Super Crews, also... I got screwed for being over the warranty mileage ($1200)
I have a feeling there is a problem, they are not telling us about... hope the get enough complaints for a recall.....

Old 12-28-2001, 08:10 AM
MR_IOWA
Did you just get the pinion bearings replaced along with an assortment of cups, spacers, lube, etc. Those are the things listed on my invoice, about a page worth. $159+/- for parts and around $200 labor. If our parts list are about the same, I will supply you my copy from my dealer so you can go get some of your money back, because it seems you got way over charged!

Keith

Old 01-06-2002, 07:40 AM
Dealer replaced everything but housing at 4,000 miles They tried to say it was normal but I would't accept that ended up e-mailing ford ceo that got results they even rented me a new f-150 to drive for two days truck was in shop

Old 01-16-2002, 07:27 PM
Whine and Cheese!

I own an 01' Screw Lariat 4X4 with a 3:55 LS rear end. It developed a whine at 20000 KMS (12-13k miles) and I wasn't going to get it fixed, since the truck was leased and my wife drives it 80% of the time. But it progressively got worse and if I spent any amount of time in the truck, it became very anoying. It whined at any speed from 30 to 90 MPH. Finally I gave in as I had to take it in for a seatbelt recall also.
I hope you are sitting down, it will be a long reply. As Ford will not simply let the dealer order and replace a good chunk of the truck, they tried to fix it by replacing the bearings, (which did not solve the problem). Then Ford told the dealer to replace the ring and pinion, (which also did nothing). Next Ford told the dealer to replace everything in the housing assembly (that also did not fix the problem). Finally Ford sent the dealer a whole new rear end assembly (complete). That fixed the problem and so far the whine has not come back. My fingers are crossed.
Total time the truck was at the dealers: 8 yes 8 weeks! BUT, keep in mind this was right after the Sept 11 attacks and the assembly did come from the States. It took 3 weeks to get it alone. In the meantime the dealer let me drive what I wanted for a loaner and when it was all done, I wanted 2 lease payments back from Ford Credit. The dealer did all the work for me and was able to get me 1 payment back. I wasn't the nicest guy when I filled out the service survey sent out by Ford and am in the process of trying to get a second payment back.
I don't know the percentage of trucks that this problem is occurring in, but my opinion is this: if it happened in 1 truck, it is UNACCEPTABLE. EVERY rear wheel drive vehicle ever made has a rear end in it and as far as I know, ever since rear ends were invented, the basic design has never changed. A rear end is not a new part. No OEM should have rear end troubles whatsoever.
To top it off, my father has an 01' F150 Flareside with 4.6 and 331 gears. His truck had a whine in it from day 1. The same dealer I went to repaired his truck about 4-5 months prior to fixing mine. They did the same to his truck. The only way they were able to get rid of the whine was to replace the WHOLE rear end assembly. His repairs (if I remember correctly) took about 3 weeks.
I do have to admit, I LOVE that truck.

Good Luck!

The Best Never Rest

Last edited by thebestneverrest; 02-15-2002 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:08 PM
Amen...So Mote it Be...

Old 01-19-2002, 11:33 AM
Thumbs down

Things haven't changed with the ford rear ends. The 98 4x4 I had, had the same problems with whining in the rear end. I had replaced axle bearings, right axle shaft, etc etc. The garage told me this was not a common problem with fords. It seemed that this cured the problem for a while. Then it started up again. I was told the bearings would have to be replaced again. I was planning on replacing the truck with a newer model until I started hearing of other ford owners having the same problems as I was. I was not getting any satisfaction from any of the dealers so I dumped the Fix Or Repair Daily.

Old 01-19-2002, 05:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So far mine has been fine and with almost 45,000 miles on it so is this problem only in the LS rear ends or does it effect the open rear ends as well as mine is a open with the 3.55 gears and no noise yet.

Quick Reply: 2000 F150 whine in rear axel