Differential Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differential Upgrade

I have a 2002 F150 with 2 wheel drive. It appears to have a standard rear end, meaning no limited slip differential. I am told there is a way to look up the rear end either by the VIN or some other method.

If it is a standard rear end, I would like to upgrade it for better traction. I have seen a Eaton Truetrac on line and then I saw another upgrade that did something to the axle so there was equal power to both wheels at all times (saw it in a Summit Racing catalog).

Anyone have experience with this? If so, what product would you recommend and how hard of an install?

Thanks!

Gregg

Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 PM
you should have an 8.8 you can get a true trac they are a great unit, or you could put a factory limited slip in it, you can get used ones on ebay and such, we have a few if you need one. we also sell true tracs. you can install yourself fairly easy 8.8's are an easy axle to work on. remove old carrier and ring gear, keep track of shims on side of carrier bearings, remove ring gear from carrier, and bolt to new carrier unit. use locktite and torque, new bolts recomended, get new carrier bearings will save you time and agrevation and they are fairly inexpensive. you will have needed to check backlash before removal, now install shims where they came form, check backlash adjust to get it back to where it was. put shafts back in and cover on. www.eastcoastgearsupply.com contact us if you need anything and we offer tech support

Old 11-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks much. Looking to tackle this before Christmas and the slippery weather!

Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 PM
On the drivers side door tag there will be a little section that says AXLE with a code. Search around here or go to google and type ford axle and the code and you will find out.

Quick Reply: Differential Upgrade