Front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end noise

Hello all

I have a 2005 f150 4x4. The front end differential make a horrible grinding noise. It only does this every once in a while. I was thinking it was attempting to go in to 4 wheel drive so we disconnected the plug on the side of the tranie but it still has done this a few times. When i slow down it clunks a little and then stops making the noise. Does any one have any ideas?

Thank you

Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Mine too, Im looking for more info but I think that we are gonna find out that per TSB 06-8-15 the IWE solenoid has captured water & flushed it into the 4wd vacume lines. This apparently causes a condition that is somewhere between 2wd & 4wd. Does the truck feel like it's in 4wdh all the time? Does it shift smoothly in and out of 4X & 2X?
Lastly, I saw in that same TSB that if error codes C1979 &(or) C1980 are present, that the 4WDH light will be inop. I have no 4WDL indication light. Aside from the obvious (selector soleniod shot) is there a code that excludes 4WDL indicator light?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Cool I will take a look at that. I can not tell if it is going int 4 wheel drive or not but it scars the crap out of you when you are doing 70 and it starts. Then you have to pull over look around under the truck.

Quick Reply: Front end noise