Bronco 4WD fit in a 91 F150?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronco 4WD fit in a 91 F150?

I have a 1991 F150 2WD I6. I am looking to swap a 351W and 4WD into it. Will all the parts from a 1989 Bronco fit? Like will the front axle, Transfer case, front drive shaft, and all bolt right up?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:18 AM
No, they will not. The engine cross-member is different. And the engine cross-member is what the front axles bolt to. So, no, it won't work unless you swap the engine cross member.

And in case you're curious, swapping the engine cross member requires removing the body, removing the suspension, engine, and transmission, cutting the rivets out of all the cross-members, separating the frame rails, removing the engine cross-member, replacing it with the cross-member from the Bronco, bolt the frame back together, install the engine, transmission, transfer-case and suspension from the Bronco......and then put your body back on. And the coil spring mounts are different too......so you'd want to swap them as well.

Still wanna try it??

Old 10-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Delux
No, they will not. The engine cross-member is different. And the engine cross-member is what the front axles bolt to. So, no, it won't work unless you swap the engine cross member.

And in case you're curious, swapping the engine cross member requires removing the body, removing the suspension, engine, and transmission, cutting the rivets out of all the cross-members, separating the frame rails, removing the engine cross-member, replacing it with the cross-member from the Bronco, bolt the frame back together, install the engine, transmission, transfer-case and suspension from the Bronco......and then put your body back on. And the coil spring mounts are different too......so you'd want to swap them as well.

Still wanna try it??

Yep will do. Hope to start next week.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 PM
A little food for thought, if you are really gonna do it, you are gonna have to drop the axles anyway so you might as well do a solid axle swap. I dont know what kind of offroading you do but for maximum flex and articulation its the best route. you can find a 78-79 bronco Dana 44 all day on Craigslist, especially in your area. Look into it man, itll be well worth your while I guarantee.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 PM
dude check out fullsizebronco.com ... i'm a member on there too and you MIGHT find you some more info...

going with a dana 60 front and sterling rear with 37"s on my 89 bronco xlt

Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by crash_lucky13
dude check out fullsizebronco.com ... i'm a member on there too and you MIGHT find you some more info...

going with a dana 60 front and sterling rear with 37"s on my 89 bronco xlt
X2 thats one of the best places to learn about an SAS or any four wheeling PERIOD

Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Sounds good. I will sign up there. I pick the Bronco up Sunday and I have had the truck since 91. While engine is out I will P&P the heads and intake and add a small cam.

Last edited by GodStang; 10-16-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:00 PM
too bad your not closer... i already got a 351 built...

Old 10-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by crash_lucky13
too bad your not closer... i already got a 351 built...
ahhh the soul reason I am doing this is for ****s and giggles thanks though. I love Porting and polishing and building things. I am done with my Cobra, the Wrangler, almost done with the 97 PI head swap port and polish, so this will be the next thing.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:28 AM
....you might be able to get by with just removing the front two sets of cab bolts, loosening the rear cab bolts and bed bolts........and using a porto-power to spread the frame rails apart.

It's also possible to cut the bottom of the frame out and then re-weld it after you put in the new cross-member. But as much as the frame flexes in that area, cutting and welding is NOT a good idea.

You can usually get a bare frame from a salvage yard for around $200 You could do that......and then add the Bronco running gear. Then top it off with your body.........

Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 AM
....you might be able to get by with just removing the front two sets of cab bolts, loosening the rear cab bolts and bed bolts........and using a porto-power to spread the frame rails apart.

It's also possible to cut the bottom of the frame out and then re-weld it after you put in the new cross-member. But as much as the frame flexes in that area, cutting and welding is NOT a good idea.

You can usually get a bare frame from a salvage yard for around $200 You could do that......and then add the Bronco running gear. Then top it off with your body.........
Whoa dude! Wayyyyyy too much work. Definitely not that complicated...........

Old 10-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Old 10-17-2008, 11:28 AM
WHOA DUDE!!! We're not talking SAS. He's doing TTB. Start reading the post, Mr. Dong

Old 10-17-2008, 02:39 PM
WHOA DUDE!!! We're not talking SAS. He's doing TTB. Start reading the post, Mr. Dong
LOL Mr. Dong huh? Thats catchy. Either way, the way you want to go about it is ridiculous. From the get go it sounded like you just want to discourage this guy. I am just offering another point of view. Go take a nap grumpy.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by JonELongDong
LOL Mr. Dong huh? Thats catchy. Either way, the way you want to go about it is ridiculous. From the get go it sounded like you just want to discourage this guy. I am just offering another point of view. Go take a nap grumpy.

YA he did come across as very discouraging but the questions was will it fit. The answer is yes. compared to some of the builds I have done this is a walk in the park. I pick it up sunday and I will go from there.

Quick Reply: Bronco 4WD fit in a 91 F150?