Rear gears upgrade and Tru-Trac questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear gears upgrade and Tru-Trac questions

I have an '06 with 2wd, V6 with 5 speed manual tranny and 3.31 open rear end. I plan to buy a small enclosed trailer (5 or 6x8) and carry 700 lbs. of ice skate sharpening equipment in it. I'd like to upgrade my truck so I'd be able to get power going to both rear wheels to help with towing.

The fellas' in the V6 Engine forum highly recommended changing my 3.31 to 4.10 LS. I've read through the threads in regards to the Eaton Tru-Trac and am really interested in it. I like the fact that I wouldn't have to worry about failing clutch packs to replace over time.

Would I be able to install Tru-Trac in my current 3.31 open rear or would I need a 4.10 LS axle to be able to install Tru-Trac? If having to get a whole new rear axle assembly is what is needed, I'd just keep it as the stock LS until it fails then would look into going to Tru-Trac.

I'd also be looking for a reputable shop to have all this installed in the Seattle-Tacoma area, as I don't have the tools and I'm recovering from hip surgery (and might possibly need a 2nd!) Nothing like being 25 and going on 70!

Last edited by GoalieFergy53; 09-18-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:24 PM
easiest and cheapest would be to junkyard a axle with 3.73's with a factory LS

Old 09-19-2008, 06:06 AM
You can put a tru trac in your current gear ratio. when you put the tru-trac in, it will become a limited slip, a very good one might i add. I have one myself. No need to change axles, you will just be replacing the carrier.
As far as gearing goes, if you are only going to be pullin that small trailer and you love your gas mileage, keep the 3.31 in my opinon.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Great info! Now I have a better idea of what parts I'd need to get. What ratio do you have your Tru-Trac installed in? Have you had any cons about it since having installed, or just all the improved benefits?

Old 09-19-2008, 05:08 PM
I have 4.10:1 gears in mine. I decided on this ratio for pulling a really heavy load, and for a future increase in tire size.
the only cons i have: the posi-traction seems to make me want to stomp on the gas, and spin both wheels at once. I love hearing that squall of tires trying to grab traction as my truck shifts into second gear.
Just remember to keep a light foot on that black ice up there in Wa. state, and you should be fine.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:28 PM
If I were you I'd go ahead and re-gear to 4.10 (going one step up in ratios isn't worth it) and while they have the rear end open, go ahead and have them install the TrueTrac. That would be the perfect setup for your truck.

From what I've been told, it really isn't that hard to re-gear yourself, but things have to be PERFECT, or you'll wind up having to do it all over again sooner than later. That's why I just had a buddy of mine that knows these things do it for me. He's supposed to show me how to do it all sometime, I can't wait.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:00 AM
I think I'll actually go the route that _cashel said. I eventually might be moving down to Phoenix and would be towing the trailer and the 4.10s would definitely be the way to go.

Would I need to get a tuner (such as a Superchips Flashpaq) to recalibrate my speedo with the change of rear gear ratios? I'm trying to get a list together of what all I'd need and so I can have an idea of how much $$$ I'd needed to get it all done.

Last edited by GoalieFergy53; 09-20-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that speedo cal thing. The dealer couldn't do my PCM to reprogram for 4.10:1 gears, the closest they could get were 3.73. they tried, and didn't charge me since they couln't get it.
You could always check with a dealer to see if you could get your truck programmed, but a tuner would be the way to go.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:37 PM
You don't have to re-calibrate the speedo. Mine is off by 10 mph right now (reads 10 mph faster than I'm actually going). You just need to keep that in mind while you're driving. I do plan on getting a custom tune sometime in the next few months for performance though, and I guess I'll go ahead and get the speedo adjusted while I'm at it.

edit: and honestly, I'd go with a custom tune over going to the dealership to get it changed. I've heard the dealer will charge at least $80 - $90 just to re-calibrate the speedo. I'd rather spend a little more to get that and some very noticeable gains in power all across the board.

Last edited by _cashel; 09-20-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear gears upgrade and Tru-Trac questions