Front diff. fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front diff. fluid

I'm getting ready to do my lift and figured I would drain my rear/front diffs. I just called the local dealership and they say to use 75w-140 all around. My Haynes manual says 140 for the rear and 90 for the front. Should I stick with the 90?

Also, is it really worth it to go with a Mag-hytec in the back? My friend is currently welding his own cover up out of 1/4" plate...I thought about just having him make me one instead. I'm not sure if the Mag would cool the fluid that much better to warrant getting it...

Old 09-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on the front differential, I would just wait til you're actually putting the lift on. you're going to have to drop the differential anyway... I'd personally go w/ the ford spec. in any case use only fully synthetic fluid. also, the mag hytec cover does have a greater fluid capacity to help keep the fluid cooler, but the stocker will work fine for daily use. are you going to offroad heavy? if so, I would go w/ the mag hytech b/c of the extra capacity...

Old 09-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks- I planned on doing it all at once (lift/diffs). I'll just pick up some 140 then. I'm not doing any hard wheeling, I just thought the extra capacity would be nice. Maybe I'll wait and do it when I re-rear

One more question...gasket or just black RTV? I see this 50/50 split alot of times. Is it more personal preference?

Old 09-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Go Mag-Hytech. Has a bigger fluid capacity, has a better cooling ability ( fins) plus it looks nice ! It even has a dipstick so you can check fluid levels and quality (after a water crossing) and has a larger inspection hole, also allowing you to check out whats going on in there if need be. Also, it has a drain plug, so next oil change / re-gear wont be nearly as messy, which usually = quicker. I personally run the dif cover, and the deeper dished trans pan. I would highly recommend 'em .

Old 09-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
I personally run the dif cover, and the deeper dished trans pan. I would highly recommend 'em .
Are you just running a cover on the back? We have to keep the front stocker for clearance reasons, right?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Ya, you got it. I have been looking at the front, wondering if I could make one, or make room for one, but I just don't know.

Quick Reply: Front diff. fluid