Limited Slip Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited Slip Issue

I have my truck in the local shop because my LS wasn't working.He tells me the clutches are shot.So after replacing the clutch pack,he test drove it and says there is still a clunking noise.He tells me he saw a hairline crack somewhere in my rearend,but was not too specific.He believes that the seized up clutches caused too much stress in the assembly and this caused the crack, which is causing the clunking noise.When I drove the truck last,it would clunk when cornering hard,like the axle was moving in the housing.He says it still is doing that.He recommends finding a replacement rear end assembly from a scrapyard,and is looking into prices on Monday.I think his reason for this is so he doesn't have to set up the gears,should they need to be replaced.I live in a very small town, hours away from a second opinion, so I need some advice on this.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with you in that he does not know how to fix it. Swapping out a rear end is simple but finding one you can trust is hard. I guess you can start with ebay but shipping would be pricey.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Could seized clutch discs cause enuf stress to crack or break any differential parts?Or maybe he didn't add any friction modifyer after the rebuild?I'll ask him in abt 15 min.and post the answer.Do these clutch discs need a break-in period?

Last edited by sledman62; 04-05-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:15 PM
yes on the break-in period, around 300miles, I believe. If the clutch packs were too tight, it would act like a locked rear end, tires would hop when you turn. Usually the tires let go before parts break, but stranger things have happened.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Just picked up my truck,and when I went around the first corner,the rear end was noisy,like rocks rolling around inside a coffee can.After one or two corners,the noise is gone.I drove to an open spot and did circles in both directions for abt 5 mins.I can't seem to hear the noise anymore.I pulled half the truck onto the gravel shoulder and hit the throttle,both wheels spun.On pavement,it will spin both tires as well.Does this sound right?

Old 04-06-2008, 10:28 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Sounds normal for a LS. It takes a few minutes driving in circles to work the modifier into the clutch pack after a replacement.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS 'S

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Issue