who of you have converted from open diff to LS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdnance
i'll say this though, when i have had the rear jacked up and rotated one tire, the opposing tire rotated the opposite way.
I know, and that's because the rear axles are permanently fixed to the differential. AFAIK, the carrier of the front differential does not turn during 2wd operation, meaning it doesn't matter what you have in there. You could have a spool in there and it would be fine.

We'll just have to wait for somebody a little more knowledgable on the subejct to come in.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Good Questions. done some thinkin. as in my truck the center axle is disconnected when in 2wd mode, thus allowing only one of the side gears inside the front diff to turn. the other wheel is good to go, and will not bind or hop. the l/s in the front will only be hard to turn once the 4wd is engaged. Keeping the original gears, your cost should go down for your install. hope this helps out.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by 2002 wonderboy
Good Questions. done some thinkin. as in my truck the center axle is disconnected when in 2wd mode, thus allowing only one of the side gears inside the front diff to turn. the other wheel is good to go, and will not bind or hop. the l/s in the front will only be hard to turn once the 4wd is engaged. Keeping the original gears, your cost should go down for your install. hope this helps out.
That's exactly what I thought. Since I live in South Florida, I rarely use 4wd on road. Only time is if there's a few inches of standing water over the entire road.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Some less-aggressive LSDs are well suited for front-axle use.

Sometimes the MFR will state that it's especially good for front use.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:29 PM
bump.

can anybody please explain?

Old 11-21-2007, 02:25 AM
Where's Steve83 been? He'd know the answer to this but I haven't seen a post by him in a while.

Quick Reply: who of you have converted from open diff to LS?