4x4 not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 4x4 not working

i have 2003 fx4. auto. when i switch into 4L or 4H. I hear the clicking of the selinoid the indicator lights work every thing sounds right , looks right, no grinding, nothing. Everything seems fine. But no 4wd. Any suggestions?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First we need to find out where the problem is. If the light comes on, it means the shoft motor is turning. Jack the front end up, put it on jack stands, then start the truck and flip the switch to 4high. Then, lay down under the truck and see if you can turn the front driveshaft. If you can, that's bad. If not, that's good.

If the driveshaft doesn;t turn, grab one front wheel and turn it. The other wheel should turn the opposite direction. If it does, then you've got 4wd. If it doesn't, then you've got an issue with the front axle not engaging.

Start there, and report your findings. We'll go from there.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 PM
i had the same exact problem with my 98 XLT. found out it was a $2 snap ring.. not sure if it would be the same.. our trucks are different but hopefully its nothin major

Old 10-23-2007, 03:16 PM
ok sorry it took so long. when i turn the wheel the other one turns opposite. but now when i switch to 4l nothing happens no indicator light or sound from selinoid.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One problem at a time....

What about the front driveshaft? When you engage 4high with the front wheels in the air, engine idling, can you turn the front driveshaft? If you cannot turn the front driveshaft, and the front wheels turn in opposite directions when you spin one of them, the 4wd is engaged.

To engage 4low, you must be stopped, in neutral, with your foot on the brakes. I would not recommend doing that with the vehicle on jack stands as it can easily drive off the stands if you put the transmission in gear.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:34 PM
i dont know what is going on with this thing. One of my buddies just got a f150 in at his junk yard. Iwent up there and got the selinoid off it. Just to see (cheap fix) I changed them out, it done the same thing it was doing. So I put mine back on. And the 4wd worked in 4h and 4l. So I played around in 4wd for a few minutes. Took it out of 4wd and Then put it back in 4wd just to make sure it was working. Back to the same problem. (nothing) so i got aggravated and left it a lone. When back out 30min. later and it worked. This is my 3rd f150 99,01,03 so i know im ingaging it right. Just dosen't make sense.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by dahch03
i dont know what is going on with this thing. One of my buddies just got a f150 in at his junk yard. Iwent up there and got the selinoid off it. Just to see (cheap fix) I changed them out, it done the same thing it was doing. So I put mine back on. And the 4wd worked in 4h and 4l. So I played around in 4wd for a few minutes. Took it out of 4wd and Then put it back in 4wd just to make sure it was working. Back to the same problem. (nothing) so i got aggravated and left it a lone. When back out 30min. later and it worked. This is my 3rd f150 99,01,03 so i know im ingaging it right. Just dosen't make sense.
I just went through the same crap with mine last winter, and the center axle disconnect was the problem. The pins on the OEM shift fork were worn off, and it would only engage occasionally, and was very difficult to disengage. There is an upgraded replacement kit including a steel shift fork ( OEM was aluminum ). Cost for parts is about $175.00. There is a good post here if you do an advanced search to labor it in yourself, or figure 3.5 hrs at a shop, minimum.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Pin hole in the air lines would be my guess - I would check them all - under the dash as well as down to the axle itself..

Old 10-26-2007, 10:55 PM
the rest of the story

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Quick Reply: 4x4 not working