98 F150 4x4 Triton V8 Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 F150 4x4 Triton V8 Rear End

Hey guys,

I left my truck at a friends house tonight. It appears something has gone wrong with the rear end. I have noticed a click in the rear end recently when putting into gear (any gear). Tonight I was pulling this friends small boat back to his home and heard a loud whirring noise. It made this noise for approximately 10 minutes and then quit. My truck has never done this before and as this is the first time pulling his boat, I thought maybe a wheel bearing on his trailer was acting up. As I got to his home, I put my truck in reverse and the truck made a LOUD clanking noise with some pretty good vibration. I immediately stopped, checked underneathe to see if I could visually see anything, of course nothing. I unhooked the boat, put the truck in drive, and got the same thing. As I eased forward it made the same sound, so I parked the truck, got my mechincally inclined friend to come listen and watch as I moved it. He said, the whole rear axle shuddered as it made the sound. What could be the problem? This is the first time it has ever given me trouble other than the random clicking as I put it in gear. Can something simply come loose? Or may my problem be much worse? I have read a few threads here and am a new member, please help or point me in the right direction? I do believe it is a Limited Slip rear end.... Anxiously waiting....

Quick Reply: 98 F150 4x4 Triton V8 Rear End