U- joints?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U- joints?

I am quite confused about my problem here. My u joints were sqeaking last week so i went to napa and bought new ones, put them in and my truck was fine for about 100 miles then they started to squeak again. But this time it sounded more like a clank. It was loud. So i checked fluids in rear and transfer, everything was fine. Then i went ahead and bought another set of u joints, put them in last night and no clank but when i come to a stop i hear a squeak and sometimes when i accelerate i hear it too but it doesnt do it all the time.I am stuck on where to go from here. any suggestions? thanks

Old 05-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Sounds like the same problem I've got right now... try checking your seals around the driveshaft and your axle seals. Jack up the rear just enough to get the rear wheels off the ground, put the truck in neutral, and try spinning the wheels by hand, or rotating the driveshaft.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Try applying grease to the slip yoke on the driveshaft they are known to cause a slight jerk and squeake or chirp on take off after a stop.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Rear discs? Check E-brake pads.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:59 PM
I greased the slip yoke when i did the u joints. That did make a clunk noise though before i did finally grease it. Yes i do have discs in back. The pads are new though. Thanks for the replies. It only chirped once on my way home from work. I just greased the u joints again tonight. See what happens in the morning. Thanks!

Quick Reply: U- joints?