Changing over to Synthetics

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2000, 07:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Here's what I do.....

Change fluid annual including converter

If it requires mercon 1, I use III; if it requires mercon V, I use mercon V.

I drop the pan at the first oil change and change the filter.

As long as the oil isn't burned or turned color when I change it, I don't drop the pan again until 50K is on the odometer.

I don't disconnect the cooler lines because I have concern for future leaks, and between the pan & the converter, I get at least 90%+ of the fluid out.

My thoughts & my service

Jeff

------------------
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

Old 05-24-2000, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Changing over to Synthetics

Please, don't start discussing which one is better. The tranny topic got out-of-hand. 1)If you, and I know there are a lot of you, changed over to synthetics, what type/types/kind of "flushing" of the old oil did you perform, if any?
2)The power stering fluid is Mercon, has any one changed over to syn. here, any drain plug(s)?
I know there are "blends" of oils, maybe 10% syn.
3)Is the normal drain plug change sufficiant to remove enough of the old stuff?
I know the tranny would require that torque converter be drained. How do you home mechanics drain/flush the tranny cooler?
Thanks for your help.
BYGBRI

------------------
'99 White, F150 XLT, SuperCab, StyleSide, 4WD, 5.4L (built 06/10/99, no problems as of 04/13/00), HD Tow package, 3.55 Open diff(yuk!), K&N Filter, Gibson Cat-back, Jet Perf. Chip,
Rancho RS5000's, AMP Bed X-Tender, Muth Signal Mirrors, Cobra CB, 4" High Rider rear-seat lift.
Future mods:
WMS Vel tube-ordered 3/2/00 not received as of 04/13/00.

Old 05-24-2000, 07:51 AM
The changeover schedule really depends on how many mile you have on your vehicle.

For instance. If your vehicle has 30K or more miles than the following schedule would be beneficial.

Open, drain tranny pan, replace filter and then add enough synthetic ATF to top off system. This will leave you with a strong mix that will help the transmission clean itself out. After another 8-10K have the transmission completely flushed and replaced with synthetic ATF.

If there is under 30K then simply change the fluid as beechkid described, although going as long may be a challenge with the blend that will result.

Randy

Old 05-24-2000, 08:32 AM
I am running Mobil 1 Synthetic tranny and oil. I am using the tranny fluid in both the tranny and the Power Steering system. For the PS system, I just disconnected the inlet to the ps pump and let it drain. (With the engine off). I then reconnected and topped off. Start the truck and immediately refill the ps fluid. Cycle the steering lock to lock a few times and then repeat this procedure. You will get most of the old fluid out. For the tranny, there is a Torque Converter drain plug in the bellhousing behind a black rubber cover. drain that along with the pan and that should be good enough. I did this on my E40D which was using Mercon from the factory. I think the 4R70W use Mercon IV which the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is not certified for.

Good luck.

Jim

------------------
1998 F-150 XLT SC 5.4L

Old 05-24-2000, 06:12 PM
I have changed over my power steering,

I took a turkey baster and put a hose on the end and sucked out as much fluid as possible, then I refilled it with synthetic ATF.

A couple of weeks later I did it again. I figure I have about 95% new in there.

It seemed to quite the steering a bit during slow speed turning.

As far as the Tranny, you could take it to one of those Shops that have the machine, carry your own ATF with you.

------------------
Lube-Direct

New Lubrication Forums

Old 05-26-2000, 05:27 PM
I just had my trans fluid/filter changed to Mobil-1, and replaced the stock pan with another from Ford with a drain plug ($36) on a '97 F-250 ld SC With a E4OD transmission. After being on the rack of the gas station for about 20 minutes the rear of the truck slid off those adjustable support pads and dented my gas tank and muffler heat shield due to poor placement of these pads on the angled part of the rear frame. If the rack does not have the full drive on ramps, please be careful on the placement of the adjustable supports!!

Quick Reply: Changing over to Synthetics