2005 Front Axle/Differential Question

Old 12-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Front Axle/Differential Question

So I was talking to a Drivetrain technician about installing a Detroit Truetrac in the front of my 2005 F150 and he was describing how the front axles react in 2 wheel drive. He was saying that the passenger side axle gets disconnected and only the driver's side wheel is actually spinning the differential when in 2 wheel drive. He was concerned this could cause problems with the Truetrac unit. He contacted someone he knew, evidently that worked/works for Trachtech, who said it would not be a problem.

Anyway can someone educate me on the IFS drivetrain? Does one side actualy disengage and if so how? How does it disengage (mechanically) and what activates the disengagement?

Thanks for any insight here.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He is wrong. On older vehicles, 97-03, the lock up was at the diff. The front diff was totally disengaged from the driveshaft until put in 4x4. Wheels only had a CV joint, no hub. On the 04 up, lock up is done at the wheel by an IWE, Integrated Wheel End. The default for this is locked and when you start the engine, vacuum is sent to the hubs and they are disengaged until you put it in 4x4. With a limited slip in front, it may make turning a bit difficult as the wheels will have a more difficult time turning different rpms.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:13 PM
So just so I understand, you are saying that in 2 wheel drive neither wheel is turning the differential - correct?

And when you talk about it being more difficult to turn you are referring to only when in 4 wheel drive - correct? (pretty obvious I guess if the above is correct).

Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by michigunman
So just so I understand, you are saying that in 2 wheel drive neither wheel is turning the differential - correct?

And when you talk about it being more difficult to turn you are referring to only when in 4 wheel drive - correct? (pretty obvious I guess if the above is correct).

Thanks for the reply.
Correct on both assumptions. In 2wd, diff is not turning. Yes, more difficult to turn in 4wd.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Going to have to start looking for other options on where to have this done. Not sure I want someone working on my front end who doesn't understand how it works.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto.... Your mechanic was ill-informed on the workings of the new '04-up trucks.

For a good shop in southeast MI, check out Jolly Transmissions on Fort St. in Lincoln Park (just south of M-39) or Dave's Transmissions on Detroit Ave here in Monroe. Both shops do great work!

-Joe

Old 12-28-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the info Joe. It's tough letting someone work on your truck that you don't know. I was going to use DTS in Warren, but not so sure now. I'll consider heading down to one of those places and talking with them. See what they have to say about it. Not planning on getting it done until spring, just researching at this point. Want at least one trip to the dunes with this truck before I decide, and if nothing else so I have something to compare to after.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's strictly for the dunes that you were considering it, I'd spend the money elsewhere. I've been running mine out there for 6 years without an issue. Sure, there were some places where it probably would have made things a bit easier, but noplace out there where it was essential.

-Joe

Old 12-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Joe

I hear ya. There are other things I want and could spend the money on for sure. I can't really think of anything else for $800 that would give me actual noticeable improved performance though. If I find my truck does fine and don't have to run at break-neck speed to get around, then yeah I'll have some cash to spend on something else. Just not sure what to expect. Only thing I have driven on the dunes is a lightweight sand rail/buggy.

The other thing that concerns me a bit is performance in the snow, though in reality we don't get all that much that isn't cleared pretty quickly. I mean I would be concerned that the Truetrac would not be a good thing for bad weather winter driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Front Axle/Differential Question