electric 4x4 NOT WORKING

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front diff. vacuum actuator link

Originally Posted by bullseye670
At the dealer. About 145 bucks. They call it a motor. Its under a small plastic black cover on the front diff. Pull the 2 small 'c' clips on the rod to remove. You can check it with a vaccumm pump, most auto stores sell one for about 20 bucks. Ussually comes as a brake bleeding tool.
Applying to one side inguages the other disinguages.

My 2001 needs an actuator at the front differential also (moves only a slow 1/16" and tested with actron vac. pump on both lines.). Loads of WD40 hasn't helped.

The actuator has a slot in the rod that moves in & out, where it aligns with the arm (link) to the differential. Do I carefully pry the arm from the actuator slot before pulling the actuator? This link is what actually moves bi-directional and engages the differential.

I've been thinking of the 4x4 Pozi-Lok as a replacement to the vacuum system. Havn't found many reviews. Comments appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-11-2006, 11:22 PM
You can pry the arm out of the vacumn actuator. Using wd doesnt work. Use a good penetrating fluid and slowly work it back and forth. In the cold and snowy area that i was from,that is a very common problem with the front diff. the other thing with the auto 4x4 is the shift motor. they do wear out after a while and stop working. Unfortunatly,they are expensive to replace.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 AM
If you remove the 2 c clips on the auctuator rod that should enable you to remove the actuator. Before you reinstall a new one you might make sure the arm on the diff moves freely. Put some lube where it gos into the diff and work it back and forth.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:00 PM
4x4 electric more info

checked fuses they are okay and getting voltage.

jacked up front in and engaged 4x4 and wheels turned but front differential not engaged. checked that and the actuator moves fines. engaged it by reversing vacuum lines. and released once switched back.

checked motor connection seemed to be okay no major corrosion. outside of motor rusty as hell. beat motor with rubber hammer. still nothing.

any other suggestion or shoot the truck.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rather_b_fishn
checked fuses they are okay and getting voltage.

jacked up front in and engaged 4x4 and wheels turned but front differential not engaged. checked that and the actuator moves fines. engaged it by reversing vacuum lines. and released once switched back.

checked motor connection seemed to be okay no major corrosion. outside of motor rusty as hell. beat motor with rubber hammer. still nothing.

any other suggestion or shoot the truck.
So it moved when you reversed the vacuum lines? If you reversed them at the solenoids, that tells me the engagement solenoid is bad. If you reversed them at the diff, that tells me either the engagement solenoid is bad or the vacuum line between the engagement solenoid and the diff is bad.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:17 PM
at the differential. and changed the switch on and off and vacuum never changed at top and bottom. but what about the motor does the front dif have to be engaged first then transfer case. and dash light not coming on

Old 12-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the light is not coming on, it could be the switch or the gem module. If it doesn't know that the switch has been moved, nothing is going to work. Might want to try the dealer.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:08 PM
that's what I was afraid of

Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 AM
2003 4X4 front axle engagement failure

Just bought this truck. It was only engaging the front occasionally, then kicking out. Everything worked to and including the engagement motor on the axle. Disassembled and found no pins on the shift fork-aluminum tailings found when oil drained. Ford's out of forks-dealer only item. Phony aluminum pins don't cut-it. Ford is supposed to be producing a new replacement to be out in Feb. '07. I can't believe there's no TSB on this. Dealer here said there's a hundred 4X4's running 2X2 'til the new part shows up, that they know of. Anybody got a line on aftermarket fork, or tried and proven pin replacement mods for the OEM fork?------------It's snowwwwwwwing!!!!

Old 12-21-2006, 09:56 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Try taking the parts to a machine shop and have them make the parts?

JMC

Quick Reply: electric 4x4 NOT WORKING