4x4 Low light light

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Low light light

First off I have a 2002 XLT 4x4 with the 4.6L V8 and manual 4wd shift.
Sometimes i have to shift in and out of 4wd a couple times before my light comes on. sometimes i shift it in and no light comes on and I don't think its in 4wd.

When it does come on both my 4x4 and 4x4 LOW light come on, even when i'm shifting on the fly which should mean that its impossible for my transfer case to reach 4x4 low right? I'm pretty sure that even though my LOW light is on, I'm in 4x4 high as I can stop and properly put it into 4x4 LOW and feel the difference between the two.

Also when i shift out of 4wd I can feel that it disengaged 4wd but my lights still stay on. Last night i noticed that i was driving home after being in 4wd offroad and shifting out of 4wd, with my lights stuck on, both lights were on but the low light kept turning off and on almost like a lose wire.

Can anyone help me here and give me some advise?

Thanks,

Derek

Old 09-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My guess would be that the contact plate on teh transfer case has become dislodged or that there is something wrong there. (Maybe a brush popped out inside it) JMC should be along here to help pin it down.

-Joe

Old 09-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks,

I can't see anything that looks out of place on the case but I really don't know whta I'm looking for, any help counts.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:15 AM
the is an TSB about water in transfer case shorting out sensor and cousing problems on the GEM bourd under dash signs of this include 4x4 4xlow range lights coming on and windshield wipers not working properly, and i believe there are more.........

try changing your transfer case fluid

Old 09-07-2006, 06:51 PM
I have recently changed it and it didn't seam to make any difference, one thign i should note is that last hunting season when i was using 4x4 alot the low light still would come on in high, but when i shifted out of 4x4 the lights went out. It seems to get better the more often i use it.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:11 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
First, you have a mechanical shift. Pull the lever and unless the linkage is faulty the transfer case will shift where you put it. Shifting into 4Lo at speed will make a horrendous grinding or CLUNK noise and/or you will not be able to pull the lever back. The GEM recieves signals from the t-case position switch. if the switch is faulty it will casue the GEM to think that the T-case is still in low and light the Low Range light. Put the t-case in Lo and jiggle the wires to the switch at the connector. If the light flickers that is the problem. There ar two wires going into the switch. The switch grounds these wires depending on the t-case position. Un plug the connector and ground the gray wire and the 4x4 indicator should be on. Ground the Light Blue/Black striped wire. The Low Range light should turn on. If these tests fail or flicker the Wiring/GEM/Relays are at fault. Has any transmission or exhaust work been done reciently? Next test the switch for continouity to ground. 2Hi has no continuity. 4Hi has continuity at the Gray wire terminal and 4lo has continuity at both terminals.

JMC

Old 09-12-2006, 04:24 PM
No transmission or exhaust work recently. I am goign to check this, wher eis this connector? is it easy to see with just ramps? Thast all i have to work with.
Also, if it is a faulty switch will it cause damage to my t-case if i leave it?

like i saw it usually works fine other than the lights are messed up and once in a while it doesn't want to go into 4x4.

Thanks,

Old 09-12-2006, 04:39 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
By not going into 4x4 do you mean the front wheels do not turn? As I explained the T-case will shift. The GEM relies on the switch signal to determine when the truck is in 4x4 mode, be it Hi or lo, to energize the magnetic clutch coil in the t-case and engage the front axle. It also turns on and off the indicator lights. You could have 1 or more of the following. Deffective GEM, 4x4 indicator switch, relays or faulty wiring.

JMC

Old 09-14-2006, 05:37 PM
When i say not go into 4x4 i mean that there is no power to my front tires they will turn but they are not driving.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:44 AM
JMC
I'm having the same problem as DerkMC1. I don't use 4x4 often and on the weekend after I used it the light stayed on. Until I get the truck in for service should I pull the connector off at the contact stitch so that it does not screw up something else.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Low light light