clunk and grabbing feeling

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunk and grabbing feeling

hi!
i have a 2001 f150 superscrew with four wheel drive.when i slow down around 20 km/h and let the truck coast for a few seconds and then accelerate fast there is a clunk sound and it feels like something is grabbing in the drivers front side. i notice it more slowing down to go around corners after accelerating out of the turn. i had the truck checked out and the mechanic greased the drive shaft. also there was new tie rod ends put on, new front shocks and lower ball joints 6 months ago. the rear universal was also changed recently also.the mechanic thinks the sound is coming from the rear end and recommended taking it to the dealer for a second opinion. it also does it in 4x4 but not as bad. could it be the transmission or the transfer case ? any help would be great

Old 04-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could be either the x-fer case or rear end. Mine is developing some 'slop' in the drive train, which I beleive is in the x-fer case.

I would suggest checking/changing the x-fer case fluid if it has not been changed lately. And a check of the 'play' in the rear diff would not hurt either.

The trick to avoiding this noise is to not go from brake to gas so quickly.

Quick Reply: clunk and grabbing feeling