Does lowering affect axle seals??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does lowering affect axle seals??

Lowered my SCrew at the beginning of the year. Have towed a boat and utility trailer with it and also hauled a load of dirt in the bed of the truck. A few weeks ago I had a leaking axle seal and ended up replacing both of them. Took the truck in this morning to another shop and they are telling me tha axle seal is leaking again.

Could lowering and towing the truck have some affect on these seals or is it more likely that I did not get a good install??

Old 07-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't believe that using the truck to tow anything has actually caused your seals to leak however I have heard that lowering or lifting your vehicles can cause this to happen. Seems that when you change the height of the vehicle's suspension it also changes the alignment of the drivetrain thus creating stress on your seal(s). To correct this you need to have your rear end properly aligned at the correct angle. Many times this requires that the mounts that are welded to your rear diff. be moved and re-welded. This is a lot of work and if you had a shop do the work chances are that they didn't do that.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
False alarm - this was a different shop and they did not realize that the seals (and bearings) had recently been replaced. Apparently the other shop ddi not do a good job cleaning up the previous mess.

Thanks for reply!!

Quick Reply: Does lowering affect axle seals??