Full Time 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2000, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Full Time 4WD

When is Ford going to offer AWD (all wheel drive) on thier trucks?
Many SUVs and ALL Suburus have it, why dont we?

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L Regular Cab 4x2 120" Wheelbase 4 wheel disc brakes/ABS 5 star larait style wheels Toreador Red/Silver 3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL Delta toolbox, Ford Running Boards, Ventshades, Bugflector, Bullrings, Donnelly compass mirror, 2" Rear drop.
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)powered by a Sherwood 35x2 RMS amp
Kicker ZR360 for the 2 Audiobahn AWC10 subs
regcab54@sc.rr.com

Old 02-21-2000, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Greetings!

Hopefully, Ford will leave the AWD OUT of the F150's. Most AWD systems are the "set it and forget it" variety, which is great if you dont use 4WD alot, or dont understand how to properly use a 4WD vehicle. Most AWD systems preclude the use of a 4 LOW gear. Most truck buyers prefer manually engaged 4x4 with a HI and LOW gear.

My .02 cents....

Steve

------------------
2000 4X4 Lariat SuperCab
5.4 Triton
Two-tone black on silver
All options except LS differential

MODS so far:

-Westin step bars (powder coated matte black)
-Lund bug shield
-Gentex electrochromatic rear view mirror
-Cabin filtration kit
-Superchip
-Stull Billet Grill
-Flowmaster Force II catback (series 50 SUV with duals out the rear)
-Line-X bedliner

MODS to come:

-K&N or AirAid FIPK kit
-Mickey Thompson Challenger 16" wheels with 295/75 BFG AT KO's
-4.10 gears (still thinking about this one ...anyone have any input?)
-LS diff or locker of some sort once they are available..
-A.R.E. LSII or Ford HarleyDavidson tonneau cover

Old 02-21-2000, 06:10 PM
NO thanks!

Ford had it in the 70's (I think, Dodge and Chevy had it too. NP207 transfer case). Talk about gas hogs. I'll stick with my part-time!

Old 02-21-2000, 06:18 PM
Don
Think milage is poor now? With AWD you could expect 3-5 mpg less! At least that's my experience with Subaru vehicles.
And seriously, if have to question the need for 4WD, you don't need it!
I own a 4WD truck because my work requires it and I live in a remote area with signifficant snow fall. Too many urban buyers have turned what was once an affordable,utility,work vehicle into an expensive grocery getter.

Old 02-21-2000, 09:54 PM
On the other hand, the Explorer can be had with an AWD system that also offers a 4-Hi and 4-Lo option. That is if you go with the V-6 SOHC 4.0L engine instead of the V-8, you can get that. Seems to operate fine and provide extra grip for a better handling vehicle while cornering and hard acceleration. Obviously some people want to smoke their tires, but I wouldn't mind the extra grip. I would have to agree though, that the mpg penalty may be stiff in the full size trucks. As long as they keep offering the regular setup we have now, I don't think it would be that big a deal. Obviously, I don't find that a 4x4 is a requirement for myself, but this may be a nice option.

As far as all the "urban" buyers driving up the prices, sure they have. On the other hand, would our trucks have been refined to the point they are now as far as creature comforts without them? Sure, there is still a clear need for work trucks, but at least I'm more comfortable doing my job than I may have been otherwise.

Just my $0.02.

'97 SC, 4X2, Moonlight Blue Flareside, 4.6L (Romeo), Auto, 3.08, Moonlight Blue Bed Cap, Blue Oval Reciever Hitch Plug, 235/70/16 Firestone Wilderness AT's, sliding rear window, and a bunch of sand tubes for the winter...

[This message has been edited by gopher (edited 02-21-2000).]

Quick Reply: Full Time 4WD