2003 f150 supercrew 4wd problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 f150 supercrew 4wd problems

i have a 2003 supercrew lariat 4x4. when i go to put it in 4x4, the indicator lights come on, but only the back 2 wheels spin. also, if i try and put it in 4 low, again, the indicator lights come on but nothing pulls. i've took it back to the dealer twice, and they say nothing is wrong with it, but every once in a while it will go in. also, when it does very seldom go in, its difficult to get it to come back out. any suggestions?!

03 f150 screw w/ 33000 miles

Old 12-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have them check the vacuum lines between the solenoids on the firewall and the vacuum motor on the front diff. Also make sure the vacuum motor is working properly. I think if it was the solenoids themselves, they would always fail, not just sometimes.
Those are the 3 things most likely to fail. Have you checked to see if the front driveshaft is turning? If it isn't, then it is something with the transfer case. Either the motor that locks in the front drive or the tranfer case itself.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Same problem w/ an 00. front drive shaft spins but not the axles.

Last edited by boston150; 01-02-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:14 PM
I have a 2003 Screw and have had it for 1.5 yrs, just had a cold snap with snow, put it into 4hi - no front traction, same in 4 lo. I got it to the dealer, thank heavens it didnt work there either on the flat lot in 3 inches of snow....dealer had it for two hours, checked the vacuum and all other common and likely failures.
Then told me that indeed there is a problem inside the front diff. Something to the effect that there is a part called "____ forks" which are broken and supposed to engage the front axles.
Dealer said that Ford is aware of this problem (unsure if dealer means for '03 Screws or '03 F150's, and there is kit designed to fix it. They will require the truck for 4 hours to install it (it is under warranty).

Go back to your dealer and insist the front diff be taken apart to look for this same problem.

Dave

Old 01-09-2005, 05:18 PM
uh-oh

i have an 03 Screw as well. how would i check to see if the 4x4 works right? i really do not know to much about it. so it would be like 4x4 for dummies when someone explains it to me? thanks guys. also, can it be checked on level ground? and thanks again

Old 01-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Ok Willie, Let me try to do a 4X4 ( 101 ) here.

The "transfer case" part of the output of the transmission applies power to the front diff. when engaged (either 4hi or 4low).

The front diff. is normally unlocked, meaning the right and left front axles are not both connected to the spider gears in the diff. This allows the front diff. to normally free wheel for better fuel milage and less wear on components and make for smoother operation.

When 4x is engaged the tansfer case does it's thing (either in standard {hi } or low {lower gear ratio for both front and rear}) and the at the same time a vaccum motor on the front diff. locks the front axles together. If those two axle's don't lock together you have no 4X4 operation even though the transfer case has done it's thing. Here's why: even though the transfer case is sending power to front diff. because the right axle is not connected (thats the one that gets shifted when locked or unlocked) the spider gears in the diff just spin free with that power, they are designed that way (power will be applied to the wheel with the least resistance) and since the right side didn't lock up the spiders see no resistance to that side and just spins inside. (I hope someone can form that better than me)

Anyway: to check if the front is locking up on dry ground, try this, enter 4 wheel drive (either hi or low) turn the streering full lock (left or right) and pull away, if you feel a surging in your movement (not that kind of movement!) then your in 4X4, that surging should be felt until you start to straighten the wheels up. Any time your in 4X4 and you do a sharp turn you should feel this it's the universal action of the front wheel joints doing there thing under power.

Hope this puts some light on it for you.

Gene

Old 01-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Gene-
Too many words for Willie. He said DUMMY

Willie. Find somewhere that you can put the truck in dirt. Engage 4WD and stomp the crap outta the gas pedal. Then go back and look at the tracks and see if all 4 tires spun or if just the back two spun. This is about as basic as you can get.

PS- If you can't feel the difference when 4WD is engaged then you have never had the truck in 4WD.

Trending Topics

Old 01-10-2005, 03:38 AM
i should have said "not alot dummy", just "a little dummy" but it all worked out great, thanks guys!!! and no, i have never put the truck into 4x4. although, my son got in one day and was playing with all the cool switches (he's 4) and engaged the 4x4. it felt like the truck was dragging an aircraft carrier. and i think that i did feel that surge you had mentioned. i will try it again tomorrow when i get off the ship from duty. but i have one more question, what is the difference from 4hi and 4low? Triumphman! great run down thanks!

Old 01-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Your welcome!

Gear ratio's on my 2000 are: Hi 1.00/1
Low 2.64/1

Where are you stationed? I have a son in Jacksonville (helicopter mechanic).

Gene

Opps, never mind! I see by your signature it's San Diago.
He was there too, for training, but that was 3 years ago.
His older brother was there also before he finished his tour, I was able to go out for a day cruise on the Kitty Hawk with him what a rush to launch and retrieve and be on deck to watch, I'll never forget that.

Keep-up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!We appreciate your service

Last edited by triumphman; 01-10-2005 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:38 AM
hey Triumphman, i was on the Constellation, which was the Kitty's younger/ older sister. what i mean by that is when the ships were being built in the Brooklyn Naval Ship Yard, a fire broke out on what is today, the Constellation. The two ships were side by side. 63-64.
Well when the fire broke out, it was on hull number 63. well they could not commission a higher number ship before the smaller number. so they re-numbered the two. making 63, 64, and 64, 63. so if one was to go down the the bottom of the hull on any of the two ships, they will find onboard the Kitty Hawk, stamped "USS CONSTELLATION" and vice versa. little naval history for ya! anyway, back to 4x4. what i meant was, when would i use 4hi as to 4lo? and my gears are 3.73 Limited Slip.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Great bit of triva, I'll use that on my oldest son sometime! Maybe he knew and never brought that up.

Hey when I took my dependit's cruise back in (I think it was in 95) the Connie was birthed right next to the Kitty Hawk.

The gearing difference between Hi and Low is more power at a slower gear!
We midwesterner's use low for off roading, hill climbing and such, farmers use it for pulling stumps and feed wagons in muddy feed lots, and city boys use it for.............well I quess pulling ATM's off there foundations.

It takes your 3.73's and effectivily makes them 9.85's. I take it you have never gone there, try it sometime. But beware, max speed will only be about 45 mph and the engine will be screaming at that. And I assume you know the procedure to shift into 4 low: stop, then shift into neutral or park, foot on brake pedal, then shift the switch to 4 low. Getting back into hi is the same procedure.
And of coarse going from 2 to 4 in the hi side can be done on the move at any speed up to about 55 mph just make sure you not under heavy power or load and the rear tires are not spinning(like in mud or snow). Never run in 4 hi or 4 low very long on dry pavement, it's hard on the drive train and will really, really scrub the rubber off the tires.

Have fun!

Gene

Last edited by triumphman; 01-10-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:42 PM
triumphman!
if you were there in 95, then we must have seen each other!! i was there from 94-2000. and it was 95. we went on westpac from november 94 and returned march 95. we stopped in hawaii to pick up the dependants. what squadron was your son in?

anyway, thanks for the tips, they will really help. but please correct me if i'm wrong, are you saying that if i'm driving, doing about 55mph, i can just turn the switch right to 4hi? i understand that using 4lo would be for fun stuff. i love to go to the desert out here and go MX riding, so i pretty much guessed that i would use 4lo for the rough terain out there. so 4 hi would be for towing a trailer or fifth wheel? if needed right? thanks again gene, luke

Old 01-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Yep, under 55mph just reach over flip it into 4 hi or back to 2hi no need to stop.

He moved aircraft on the Kitty Hawk, and was in DIV 3.
Would love to ride out there with you, he (and both brothers) and I were into MX also.

Have fun and never give up the 2 wheels, you just move to the smoother trails and don't jump as high/long when you get older.

Gene

Old 01-11-2005, 12:04 PM
triumphman,
e-mail me at my yahoo account. i might know who your son is, that is what i did on the connie, and if he was an ABH, we might have bumped heads at one time. now, was he in V3 division?, because there is a DIV 3, but they are boatswain's mates, they paint the ship, but if V3, then he worked the hangar bay, some reason i was thinking that he was on the connie, but still, all us AB's tend to know each other someway or form, if i don't know him, then i bet i could find someone that i work with who does. that does.
two wheels will never go away from me or my son. i am trying to get him into it and so far it is working. well you guys are more than welcome to come out here and hook up. i guess we are all brothers here in some way. thanks for the help tips and hope to see you around the forums

Quick Reply: 2003 f150 supercrew 4wd problems