Installing Limited Slip couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Limited Slip couple of questions.

I have an 02 fx4 with 3:55's. The guy I bought the truck off of ordered the truck w/ an open differental.

I am going to install an auburn limited slip but I keep getting conflicting reports as to what all I not only should replace, but also what I have to replace during the installation. The truck has 42000 miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if it was my truck i would get a master install kit and do all the bearings and races along with the crush sleeve, you would be safe probabaly just reusing the carreir bearings and races off the stocker and using the same side shims but i would just rebuild the whole thing and then you wont have to worry about it, i asume you have done this before? just make sure you know what you are dooing, and have the right tools, if you dont i can tell you what you need

Old 12-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome ! Are you planning on using the same stock gears and leaving the entire pinion assembly intact? This can be done if ALL of the parts are in good condition and the pinion depth is correct when you exchange differentials. You can reuse the carrier bearings if you can properly diagnose their condition and you don't damage them during the exchange. It's easier to buy new carrier bearings and have them pressed on the new differential. Then, you pull one assembly out, exchange the ring gear, and install the new assembly. You minimally need access to the proper carrier shims and measurement tools. Some prefer new ring gear bolts. Seals and other bearings should be evaluated and replaced based on age, mileage, and condition. Removing the pinion assembly requires additional evaluation, parts, and tools. It's smart to have a kit that covers the level of tear down like bigtruck311 suggested, unless you have other transportation and quick access to individual parts.

Quick Reply: Installing Limited Slip couple of questions.