Having Problem Shifting Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having Problem Shifting Manual Trans

Hi everybody,
I am new to the F-150 Online Forum and I am sure that one of you can help me out. I have a 2000 F-150 XL with a Manual 4 speed trans with an overdrive. My friend found it in a salvage yard for me and since he owns a body shop he fixed it and sold it to me. I really don't know the history of this truck but I have had F-150's in the past. I remember having a problem with my 85 F-150 dealing with the Slave Cylinder for the cluch. I just had to adjust the free play on the cluch pedal and bleed the air out of the system and wala it was fixed the clutch did not slip anymore. My problem with this 2000 clutch problem is the complete opposite of the 85 F-150. The problem is that the clutch seems to be engaged slightly just enough that it is hard to get into gear. It started with first and second gear now it is happening in all the gears 1 thru 4. It seems to be OK when the truck is cold and when I drive it for 10 to 20 miles or stop for a red light etc. and put it in neutral it does not want to go in gear at all I really have to force the shifter. I have already read some of the posts about this problem, but I would like to know if anybody has had any good results, I don't know if it is a Ford problem or an ajustment problem. I have checked the level in the resvoir it is fine but looks a little cloudy. I looked under the dash at the rear end of the clutch slave cylinder and the floor underneath and the floor has a dryed up stain underneath the cylinder with no fresh drops. I do see the clutch pedal position (CPP) looks a little wet but it could be light grease for the (CPP) but I don't know for sure. Can anyone help me I am strapped for bucks right now but I am machanically inclined, but it might be something very simple. Fogot to tell you the the slave cylinder is located under the hood near the steering colum and not inside the bell housing, unless they have one in there to. I will be waiting for your feedback it will either make me or someone please get back to me ASAP it is getting cold in NJ.

Thank You
Styx styx66@optonline.net

Quick Reply: Having Problem Shifting Manual Trans