4.56 Gear change

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2000, 08:17 PM
JMJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 4.56 Gear change

Recently went to 35" tires and lost some of my "giddy up go", I would like to get the 4.56 gears to get it back. I have 97 XLT 4X4 4.6 Auto ORP w 3.55's which gives me the 8.8 Diffs I think. My manual hasn't arrived yet. Being that I an in APO Address I am stuck with mail order. Has anyone out there tackled the ring and pinion swap at home? Is it too difficult for the avg bear? What about just buying the diff already built up? Anyone know where I can get front and rear allready built with 4.56? This would be a more favorable option for me if they could be mailed. Not sure what the weight of a diff is but I wouldn't think it was over 60 lbs. Anyone got any ideas or options to give?
TIA
JJ

[This message has been edited by JMJ (edited 01-31-2000).]

Old 01-31-2000, 10:37 PM
Not really a job for amateurs, the ring & pinion setup requires gages and some expertise. The front is probably mailable, but the rear is not. An 8.8 needs to be set up in place, which means the entire rear axle housing. Any of the mechanics at the motor pool have a clue what they're doing? You could probably pay him off in beer for like the rest of his tour.

Old 02-02-2000, 01:39 AM
JMJ
StrangeRanger,
I would just as soon tackle the job myself as let the ARMY motor pool even think about it. I'll share the beer with whoever lends a hand. I'm not certified by any means but I do know how to use tools. I was just looking for an easy fast way to get back on the road. I dont understand 1 thing. Why can the front me mailed and not the rear?
Thanks for the advise
JJ

[This message has been edited by JMJ (edited 02-02-2000).]

Old 02-02-2000, 06:06 PM
The front "pumpkin" can be dis-assembled from the chassis, suspension and running gear. It's still large and heavy and more likely UPS delivery than postal, but it can be done.
The rear pumpkin is integral with the rear axle housing. The 8.8 diff has to be set up in place; it can't be bench assembled and dropped into place like the venerable Ford 9."

Quick Reply: 4.56 Gear change