Alternatives to Motorcraft Gear Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternatives to Motorcraft Gear Oil

1999 4.2 Auto, 3.31 Open

I'm looking at replacing my axle seals in the near future. The passenger side is leaking visibly (though, not profusely!). I'm thinking that I should just go ahead and do both at the same time - rather than have to buy the liquid gold twice.

Has anyone used Redline or Royal Purple rear gear oil rather than the Motorcraft oil? I was thinking of using one of these brands with an additive when I do the replacement. RP is $8, and Redline is about $12 a quart. I'd have to order either one because no speed shops in my area seem to carry them - even the authorized RP dealers.

I've heard Mobil1 makes the correct fluid, but can't find that either.

BTW - Does anyone else find it strange that its so hard to find the correct gear oil for what is supposedly the number one selling truck???

If anyone has tried these gear lubes, how have they worked out? I'm probably going this route unless someone has a real horror story to share!

Thanks

Old 11-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Advance Auto Parts near me sells Mobil 1 Gear lube. Redline makes good stuff.

Scott D

Old 11-28-2003, 09:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Re: Alternatives to Motorcraft Gear Oil

Originally posted by spridel
1999 4.2 Auto, 3.31 Open

I'm looking at replacing my axle seals in the near future. The passenger side is leaking visibly (though, not profusely!). I'm thinking that I should just go ahead and do both at the same time - rather than have to buy the liquid gold twice.

Has anyone used Redline or Royal Purple rear gear oil rather than the Motorcraft oil? I was thinking of using one of these brands with an additive when I do the replacement. RP is $8, and Redline is about $12 a quart. I'd have to order either one because no speed shops in my area seem to carry them - even the authorized RP dealers.

I've heard Mobil1 makes the correct fluid, but can't find that either.

BTW - Does anyone else find it strange that its so hard to find the correct gear oil for what is supposedly the number one selling truck???

If anyone has tried these gear lubes, how have they worked out? I'm probably going this route unless someone has a real horror story to share!

Thanks
I am installing a Mag-Hytec rear differential cover soon. I just bought 5 quarts of AMSOIL 75W-140W synthetic gear oil to put in it when the install is complete.

Quick Reply: Alternatives to Motorcraft Gear Oil