Differential Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differential Help

I have a '87 F150 4x4. I was going to replace the rear axle seals, but when I tried to remove the bolt holding the axle retaining pin, only half the bolt came out. There is no way to get anything into it to drill and remove it, plus I'm sure more would get damaged in the process. Also the pumpkin cannot be removed without removing the axles.

Anyone had anything like this or have any suggestions.

Old 09-30-2003, 01:59 AM
This is what I have done in the past with this problem. I cut the bottom of the pin with a acetylene torch to remove the rest of the retaining bolt. You have to be carefull when cutting the crosspin so that you dont damage the carrier. You can buy new a crosspin & bolt at most auto parts stores. Also,sometimes you can use a pick & screw out the remaining part of the bolt. Good Luck!

Old 10-09-2003, 09:05 AM
You don't need to cut anything, Matco tools used to make a tool to remove the pin. It is basically a bolt with a hole drilled down the center and a foot long drill bit. You can use this tool to drill a small hole in the pin and then use an easy out to remove it. I've been able to take a pick and get them out has well. When they break there is usually one thread left on the pin so the broken piece must be turned in order to remove it

Quick Reply: Differential Help