Acceleration Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Acceleration Shudder

When i accelerate, my truck shudders. The harder i accelerate, the harder the shudder. It only does this through the middle of second gear, and i noticed it in reverse too.

I did a search, but did'nt find shuddering in low gears. I've experienced the "overdrive shudder" in another truck, but never down low.

Trans fluid was flushed 25k ago, and i'm due for u-joints (squeek when i back up).

What y'all think? Flush and u-joints, or something else?

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2003, 08:46 AM
I doubt it's the U joints. You don't say what your mileage is ut If it's over 60Kmi I'd change the tranny filter and replace the fluid. make sure tires are balanced and smooth (not cupped).

Old 07-28-2003, 12:53 AM
Sounds like an ignition miss to me.........like a plug wire (depending on engine) or plug maybe coil??? Will it shudder if u brake torque it?? Dont do it for very long though dont get ur tranny too warm.. Tell us more about ur truck....specifficaly what engine does it have??

Old 07-29-2003, 09:13 PM
Silver and blue, i never thought of that. A little over a year ago i had it a plug wire pop off, and you know, once they go they won't stay on. It's a 4.6 BTW. So i changed the plugs and wires. Back then it registered a check engine light (flashing). I wonder if it's time again? Glad i bought the lifetime wires from NAPA if that's what it is. No light this time though, and not as violent of a shake. It's a mild shudder as a whole. I'll have to stab it after i get up to speed and see if i can hear/feel a miss. The wife has been driving it so i have'nt been able to play with it to see exactly what it's doing. And why it not fixed yet too.

Old 08-09-2003, 11:57 PM
It was the u-joints.

It's like a new truck now.

BTW, they were original, with 85k.

Last edited by Blizzard; 08-10-2003 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:59 PM
blizzard... i just went through this. i had a shudder going from 2nd to third. i took it in and not only had the trans fluid changed but they dropped the pan flushed the torque cnverter and changed the filter. shudder is now gone. my truck is a 97' 4.6L v8 4x4. worked for me wish you well..........

Old 08-14-2003, 12:45 AM
I had that happen to my old 86 thunderbird. I had to have them replaced after almost being in an accident, I had to slam on the brakes during a rainy day, and did a 360 on the road. Anyways, it screwed the u-joints up, and it did that at certain speeds. Glad to hear you got it fixed

Quick Reply: Acceleration Shudder