transfer case problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry transfer case problems

hey guys
on the holiday weekend my truck left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. i have a 2001 supercrew 4x4 5.4l auto od with 49,650 miles. i was thinking it might have been the tranny, but once i got the truck to a dealer they said it was the transfer case that had failed. i changed the tranny fluid and transfer case with redline synthetic atf mercon 5 compatible back in october. the dealer said that the oil had not been changed in the transfer case and that this was the reason for the failure. i know better and that the dealer is putting me over a barrell for $1650. to make things worse they have somehow dropped the ball on the shift motor and it has taken them nearly two weeks to get this thing ready. i am so choked that i have to pay this when the truck is not even paid for yet. what if any options do i have? i am ready to snap at the guy at the dealership. is there any course of action that i can take? thanx guys!
zac

Old 06-05-2003, 01:51 AM
The fluid in the transfer case has nothing to do with the shift motor which is mounted on the outside of the transfer case. Did they tell you exactly what happened(to the transfer case) when it stranded you? Was it empty (no fluid), causing the failure or was the transfer case stuck in neutral? Unless you have the extended warranty, you're probably out of luck getting Ford to help you on this.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:25 AM
tailgater
thank you for your reply. i had just passed a guy and then out of nowhere i had nothing.... my speedo pegged to a 100 and when i would hit the gas it would just rev. after a costly tow ( i live in reno nv and was on my way to socal ) i tried taking my superchip out and resetting my computer. i was able to drive it but the front running was engaged ( not driving , but whining ) the speedo read twice what it was really doing and it only shifted to 2nd. now i know it had fluid because, i put the redline d4 in it back in october. the ford dealer claims that the oil pump went out and everything destructed from there. they said that the fluid looked brutal. insult to injury they are taking forever to get parts. i just feel like i am getting put over a barrell. thank you for your help!
zac

Old 06-05-2003, 02:53 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
rugdnit,

You have an Electric SOTF T-case. The speedo gets its signal from the T-case. If your speedo pegged 100 mph and you were not going that fast then that is a T-case problem. You were in neutral and that T-case has none. Strike 2. It could be the motor acting up and placing the shift mechanism inbetween gears or neutral in the T-case and by doing so at a high rate of speed grinding some metal. This would get picked up in the pump and toast it. Or as they said the pump let go and toasted the rest. The question is at what interval does the t-case oil need to be changed? Check your manual. Mine, 2000 Model year, says to change the T-case fluid at 150,000 miles. In Special operating Conditions it says 60,000 miles for the T-case. What if any warranty do you have left?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: transfer case problems