Laboring overdrive????

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laboring overdrive????

I have a 2000 F150 XLT 4.2 V6 5-speed w/overdrive. When it's in the overdrive (5th gear) there have been times when it will shake and vibrate the steering wheel and the seat panel, the entire interior of the truck basically. Could this be laboring the overdrive that is causing this? Has anyone ever heard of or had this problem? I have just had new tires put on and had them balanced, so that's not the problem. Could it be the tie rods as well? Let me know! This is bugging me! It only does it every now and then, but when it does, it shakes A LOT badly.

Old 05-27-2003, 01:08 PM
Question is what size tire did you have put on and what RPMs does it do this. Sounds to me like you're running to too low on the rpms and making it overwork.

Old 05-27-2003, 05:56 PM
I had the same size tires that were on it before put on, the 255's. As far as RPM's go when it does this, probably around 2500 or so, but it has done it around 2 or under before as well. Mainly in the overdrive 5th gear. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Remember, it's only done this like 6 times or more over a month's time or so. Weird huh!!!

Quick Reply: Laboring overdrive????