Fixing up 1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing up 1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco?

Let me start this by saying I'm not very mechanically-gifted...but, since getting my '04 truck and doing some minor mods (and spending way too much time browsing around this site) I've got an itch to try my hand at fixing up my dad's old Bronco.

It's an '86 Eddie Bauer with the 351, not fuel injected. My dad bought it a few years back with like 29k on the odometer. An older gentleman had had it, and pretty much let it sit in a garage. So it was in sweet shape when we got it.

Well, it was in the shop for one reason or another one day, and the mechanic didn't tighten the lugs on the rear driverside wheel, and my dad starts going down the road at about 55 mph, and the wheel comes off...bounces around in the wheelwell for a while, and shoots out the back. That did some damage (that the mechanic fixed free of charge, obviously). Not long thereafter, something went bad with the carburetor, it was replaced with a used carb, which went bad again...and it's just sat for probably 2 years or more (I was away at school, so not sure exactly). Between these problems, and the Bronco MPG's being pretty bad for his commute, he just got sick of it.

So...having sat for so long, I have no idea what may be wrong with it, other than I know SOMETHING is wrong with the carburetor. As far as I know, everything else worked when it was parked. For an old Bronco it doesn't have much rust, although the time outside has been hell on the paint.

I've bought the Haynes manual, and started to do some very preliminary internet research. The question is, do you guys have any advice for where to start with a vehicle that has sat this long? I know it had fluids in it when it was parked. Do I try to drain those? Put some Dri-gas or something in the tank? Is this all a waste of time? (I've always liked Broncos, but would I be ahead to just unload this one and find a cheap 92-96 with EFI?). The plus side with this one is it's free, I just need to buy parts. If this one were running, the EB interior is also a big plus, as it's still in great shape...Opinions welcome!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I say fix her up. especially if she's been in the family for a while.

Spray some starter fluid in the carb and see if its atleast gonna fire up

Old 08-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah, guess it's worth a shot. I'll probably start messing with it this weekend. I'll post any results.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fix it up man. I love that body style and it's an EB to boot.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Replace all the fluids (gasoline included), charge/replace the batter, fix the carb, and see what happens!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 PM
have you tried going on fullsizebronco.com? those guys are great and offer all their knowledge!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. Didn't mean to leave you all hanging...some stuff came up this weekend (including some all-around terrible weather and the tire shop leaving one of my center caps so loose it fell of like 1/2 mile later), and I haven't tried anything yet. I will keep you posted though.

Trending Topics

Old 08-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Good Luck. I was looking in here to see if we had a Bronco section and found this thread. I have a guy in town that wants to sell his '91 Bronco. So, I may have a similar project as well. I am curious to see how your goes??? Take some pics. Thanks,

Old 08-26-2009, 12:32 PM
By all means, fix it up! I was searching for an EB Bronco earlier this year to do the same, but every one that I found was either in bad shape body wise, mechanically wise, or they wanted an arm, a leg and my first born to part with it. I ended up getting an '84 Blazer that I'm working on, (I've had Blazers before), and really wish I could have found a Bronco. It doesn't sound like you'll have a bunch to do, although there could be surprises(?), but have fun and post pics during your learning adventure!

Quick Reply: Fixing up 1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco?