Timing Belt -- 2.3 Engine In '97 Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Timing Belt -- 2.3 Engine In '97 Ranger

Any Ford techs out there have input on timing belt replacement for a '97 Ranger with the 2.3 engine?

I'm just coming up on 100k and plan on taking it in soon for new plugs and wires. I've looked in my owner's manual and the maintenance log for any mention of timing belt replacement, but can find nothing.

My little Ranger is in great shape, and I intend to keep for several more years. I hear from so many guys with these little trucks who have run 200k+ miles without ever even messing with the timing belt, and am wondering if you guys who work on these vehicles day-in-and-day-out have an opinion on whether it's really a necessary repair?

I hate to spend $400.00 (the quote from my local dealer) if I don't really need to, but don't want to be stuck stranded by the side of the road either! Any help would be appreciated -- thanks!

Old 11-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an 85 Ranger and I think it was recommended every 60K for that year. Your belt is almost 10 years old it it's the original one. I would have it change if it was mine truck unless that engine doesn't bend the valves if it breaks. I would shop around 400 is high to have that done.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt -- 2.3 Engine In '97 Ranger