In the market...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 01:25 PM
DMA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question In the market...

Greetings all!

I'm in the market to purchase a new (or lightly used) F-350. I see several around my area, both gas V-10 and diesel V-8 and I'm having one heckuva time deciding between the two fuel types.

I know it is never as simple as the thought, "which one is better," but that's exactly what I need to figure out.

I instinctively want to go with a gas engine because I am familiar with them and have never had a problem I couldn't fix on my own. On the other hand, several guyz at my place of business suggest the diesel without even a moments thought on the matter. I am familiar with the costs involved with gas engines for both regular maintenance and repair. I've been told that diesel is very expensive to maintain and repair...even heard that just a simple oil change is almost twice as much as a gas engine.

So, to make my long question short...I need some suggestions on both which way to go AND why...and opinions are welcome as well.

Does anyone care to assist?

Thanx.

By the way...couldn't think of another section within the forums to post this so here it is!

Old 10-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Check out the very handy Superduty forum a little bit above this one. Lots of info for you to read.

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmallen
Greetings all!

I'm in the market to purchase a new (or lightly used) F-350. I see several around my area, both gas V-10 and diesel V-8 and I'm having one heckuva time deciding between the two fuel types.

I know it is never as simple as the thought, "which one is better," but that's exactly what I need to figure out.

I instinctively want to go with a gas engine because I am familiar with them and have never had a problem I couldn't fix on my own. On the other hand, several guyz at my place of business suggest the diesel without even a moments thought on the matter. I am familiar with the costs involved with gas engines for both regular maintenance and repair. I've been told that diesel is very expensive to maintain and repair...even heard that just a simple oil change is almost twice as much as a gas engine.

So, to make my long question short...I need some suggestions on both which way to go AND why...and opinions are welcome as well.

Does anyone care to assist?

Thanx.

By the way...couldn't think of another section within the forums to post this so here it is!
I have had a 97 f350 7.3 diesel and a 2000 v10 Excursion.

They are both great engines.

The Diesel:
PROS - Made a slew of neat noises. Better MPG (not a TON better).. Towed 10,000 LBS.
CONS - $90 oil changes. Smelly. Noisy. Not all Places have FUEL. Complicated (for me) to work on. Premium Pricetag.

The Gasser
PROS - No Premium. Easier to work on. Towed 10,000 LBS. Its a V10. Cheap to change oil.
CONS - Not great MPG - but I have seen worse.

My Sister in Law had a f250 V10. She put 100,000 miles on it towing a horse trailer with a 5th wheel. She traded it for a f250 6.0 diesel. They loved them both but say they only got the diesel this time because it spends most of its life towing.

In short. Get the diesel if you are towing all the time. Even then, the V10 does a good job towing too without the premium.

Most people, that dont tow, get the Diesel bragging rights.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: In the market...