Rust spots on paint (horizontal surfaces)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-1999, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rust spots on paint (horizontal surfaces)

I know this has been discussed before.....Those little rust spots that people have on the horizontal surfaces that you can only remove with your fingernail and or some serious rubbing. If I remember correctly someone said they were caused by tiny bits of metal that get imbedded in the paint? Is there a TSB on this? If your dealer fixed it how did they do it? My 99 has about 9000 miles and they just started showing up.

------------------
99 F150 XLT Silver 2WD S/C 4.2 5-speed, Superchip, Flowmaster muffler // Rear door switch guards - check them out at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031

Old 08-18-1999, 10:52 AM
Smile

Darin
It's not really rust, it's just rust colored airborne particles that settle on your paint (sometimes called industrial fallout), so the factory isn't really liable for it and the dealer won't do anything you can't do yourself. A relatively safe way to remove them is with the clay bars that are popular now, the clay takes most of that stuff off without having to rub real hard.
Oh, and don't use your nails, you'll scratch the clear-coat.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

[This message has been edited by Indyfan (edited 08-18-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Indyfan (edited 08-18-1999).]

Old 08-19-1999, 12:05 AM
Question

Indyfan, This might be something different. I only have them on the roof and they look like a dried up drop of rusty water. If I understand what you are saying there should be a small particle there - well there isn't. Unless the particle is rusting when it rains and leaving these stains? I don't park anywhere that could cause this - under trees or a parking garage.

------------------
99 F150 XLT Silver 2WD S/C 4.2 5-speed, Superchip, Flowmaster muffler // Rear door switch guards - check them out at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031

[This message has been edited by Darin (edited 08-18-1999).]

Old 08-19-1999, 07:08 PM
I think I've seen this on the top of my cab. I have the Amazon Green, and every time I wash it and she's clean, I can see tiny dark spots on the top of the cab. They rub off fairly easy, but I never knew what it was. I presumed it was crap off trees, but since I never got it on the hood I wasn't sure. Oh well, I'll just look again tonight when I wash her. Can you believe it, I've let my baby go 1.5 weeks without a bath. Ug, I need to be shot!

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, fog lamps, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, bug guard, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 08-20-1999, 12:54 AM
Cool

Hmmmmm...*rub chin*

Well, if they're the size of drops, you got me. However, if they're tiny reddish/brown specs on the top facing surfaces, chances are they're fallout; and you get them from NOT parking under some kind of shelter, if you live in a big city you're going to get them.
They seem to embbed themselves into the paint to the point where you can't even scratch them off, and they give the paint an abrasive feel (like sandpaper). See if you can borrow a clay bar from somebody and try it, spray a little lubricant on a clean surface (Meguiar's Quick Detailer or 10 parts water w/ 1 part Armor-All) and lightly rub with the flattened clay and wipe it off (don't forget to wipe off the clay too). You should feel a big difference in the finish.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

[This message has been edited by Indyfan (edited 08-19-1999).]

Quick Reply: Rust spots on paint (horizontal surfaces)