Differance in rust reformer and rust stripper

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differance in rust reformer and rust stripper

Im doing some small body work and looking for a rust converter. I found a rust stripper and a reformer. They both in all say they do the same thing. Which would be better to use to stop rust from returning or would using both be the best??

Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both are temporary fixes, and should not be trusted for any body panels. They are primarily designed for best use on something like frame rails, or even Rusted diffs. They will turn black once cured.

You have to scratch them to get any bondo, or primer to stick, and once you scratch them, you open them up and lose the barrier you created. Thus wasting your time, and money

Old 10-27-2013, 01:55 PM
plus body panels rust from the inside out. Lightly primed or bare metal on inside. Salt sits in there and rusts the panel out, you notice your paint starting to crack it's because the steel behind it has turned to rust scale. Eventually it continues and a hole has formed.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Old 10-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Here is a pic of what I am working with. As you can see the out line which is about 1"x1 1/2". I grinded all the stone guard away and punched the old fiberglass out. It is down to bare metal, I used a wire wheel on my drill to get all the rust out of there so its clean then put rust reformer on that area. Since I got all the rust out of there would it be ok to use a good fiberglass to fill that in? What do you think a body shop would charge to just cut that area out and weld in a new pc? I dont want him to paint it because I will be applying stone guard to it anyhow, just welding new in... I cant weld and Im not familiar with how to use body panels so I dont have allot of options. But yet I dont want to spend a chit pile of money to fix this small area.

Quick Reply: Differance in rust reformer and rust stripper