Amp shut-off switch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 03:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp shut-off switch!

My starter solenoid just went out. Replaced it and everything is fine. Wondering if my amp was drawing too much power? Anyways, I would like to have a switch to be able to turn my amp on and off. I was thinking of puting it on the remote start wire? I have no clue, need help.

Thanks!
Travis

Old 08-01-2002, 12:55 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about.

Your amplifier shouldn't have squat to do with the function of your starter motor or solenoid. They aren't even connected together, except for the fact they both obtain their power at the battery terminal.

You want an ON/OFF switch for your amp? It's not connected to your deck's remote wire right now? Are you talking about turning it on/off at the power wire from the battery to completely disconnect it or you need a way to turn it on/off because you're using speaker inputs on the amp from your rear speakers instead of running rca cables?

The only thing a large amp will kill eventually is your battery and/or alternator if it consumes more power than the alternator can supply. After installing a 1000w amp my headlights are blinking to the bass beat so I need to replace my 130A alternator with a 200A unit in the next few months.

More info please.

Old 08-07-2002, 02:00 AM
Thanks, yeah, if you don't think it will kill my soleniods, then I won't worry about it. I was wanting a switch, as to which wire I didn't know, but some kind of on/off switch, so when i was tired of bumping, and wanting some peace and quite in the cab, I could just flip it. Also, I was wanting to be able to shut it off so it isn't powered up at startup. But now that it is taken care of, I would like to thank you for helping me out here. So any suggestions as to which wires would be the best to turn into a switch? The remote start is what i was thinking.

Thanks!
Travis

Old 08-07-2002, 02:02 AM
Oh, yes, I am using the remote start wire.

Quick Reply: Amp shut-off switch!