Wierd problem with system install--HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd problem with system install--HELP

I have a 2001 Supercrew, and recently upgraded the stereo as follows: Kept stock headunit (tape / changer controller), added Boston RX87's (5x7 coax) in the front, Pioneer TS-A6855's (6x8 coax, ) in the rear, and a JL 10w0 for a sub. The whole thing is run off a Rockford Fosgate Punch 400.4, all 4 mid/high speakers run off the front 2 channels, and the sub on the rear bridged mono. I'm using the amp's built in fixed crossovers (80 low pass / 120 high pass), and the signal input for the amp is through the high-level inputs. It sounds pretty good, but there's a problem. The right side is significantly brighter and more detailed on the highs than the left side. I have had several people listen to it and they all notice it. It isn't a balance issue, as when you shift the balance across so that only the RH or LH speakers play, you can hear a definite difference in the sound quality between the two sides. What could the problem be? bad amp, bad headunit, speakers out of phase due to finishing the wiring at 3am, angry gods, WHAT?

Finally, (and this was true prior to the amp install) the HU makes wierd grumbling noises thru the speakers when it changes CD's or tracks, it's like the cd changer is sending some sort of noise back to the HU while transitioning to a new CD or new track. Anyone have that problem, or is it unique to mine??

Anyhow, any insight you could give would be MUCH appreciated, thanks.

P.S. The amp was brand new, but the holes for the set screws that hold the wires in the connections were improperly threaded from the factory on several of the connectors. This to me is pretty poor quality control. I've been out of the car stereo scene for some time, but I remember Rockford Fosgate being one of the best, that's why I bought this amp. Has their quality gone in the toilet, or is my experience anomalous?

Old 01-24-2002, 10:24 AM
I would bet you have one of your speakers out of phase. Check wiring on all 4 as it could be on the "good" side.

Old 02-04-2002, 06:46 PM
Here is some suggestions:

First off you should check phasing.

--Reverse your right and left speakers at the amp and see if the sound changes...this will tell you if its the amp/hu/high level inputs...
If sound changes then do this
--Buy a step down and do away with the high level inputs at the amp. RF"S high levels SUCK as you share a ground on most of them. Try your same test with RCA's and step down installed.

If the problem still exists flip your speakers, meaning move the one in one door to the other and the other one to the first door.

Thats about all the tests you can do and u should be able to find teh source of the problem.

Brandon

Quick Reply: Wierd problem with system install--HELP