compatible equalizer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question compatible equalizer?

i have a cd player with just 2 sets of pre-amps. i want to buy an eq with a seperate subwoofer preamp, and run all my amps out of my eq instead of my cd player. will this work ok since there isn;t a sub preout on my cd player to begin with.

Old 08-27-2001, 09:38 AM
Alf
Fist of all, I am not a professional installer but I have installed a quite a few systems to somewhat know the answer to your question.

If your cd player has two sets of pre-amps I'm sure one of them is for low frequencies (or sub-woofer) and the other for full frequencies.

If your eq has subwoofer controls, you can connect the full frequency pre-amp out from your cd player to the pre-amp in in your eq and use the sub controls for the low frequencies.

You can also run the sub-woofer pre-amp out from your cd player directly to the amp. Your cd player should have a low frequency by-pass switch and a sub-woofer level to adjust it.

I hope this answered your question instead of confusing you even more.

Just out of curiosity, what brand/model cd player do you have?

Alf

Old 08-27-2001, 09:46 AM
'Check out Audio Control EQ's.

Old 08-28-2001, 10:37 AM
Most EQ's have one set of inputs with the three sets of outputs. My kenwood has 2 sets of outs, but does not have a sub output. Many of the new decks have this feature, but not all. If you want to run the EQ, pick a set of RCA's out of the deck, it doesn't matter which set, and run those to the input of the EQ. Then run the outs to the amps.

One setup I have done b4 and currently running is to use the front outputs from the deck to the eq and the rears to channels 3/4 of the amp. The eq only has 2 sets of outs. Front out runs to channels 1/2 of the amp and the rear set runs to a sub amp. This allows me to have front/rear control and control of the sub.

Also as surfdog said, check out www.audiocontrol.com
They are fantastic units with tons of flexibility.

Old 08-31-2001, 09:45 AM
I agree with ChuckM. I have a Pioneer EQ-6500 and I am using the front RCA outputs from my deck to send the signal to the EQ. Then I run the Front/Rear/Sub output from the EQ to my amps. I think it works great, and I really like the option of completely turning the subs off if I need to. The EQ just stops the output to the sub channel when the button is pressed and leaves the front and rear outputs alone.

Quick Reply: compatible equalizer?