how to get the factory head unit out???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to get the factory head unit out???

i popped of the piece of dash and then tried to get the headunit out using coat hangers bent into u's to get it out. also what im trying to do is add a sub to my stock stereo. i know this is not the best but moneys tight right now. whats the best way to splice the sub in? also what color are the speaker wires that run to the rear speakers?
thx
erich
01L

Old 08-01-2001, 05:46 PM
Save yourself the time and go to the dealer and get the release kit. They should give it to you. If your trying to use the coat hanger, once you get it in, push outward on both of them and slide the head unit out.

I replaced my in dash CD player with a Sony. Pretty easy. My factory head unit had the pre-outs for the sub. Not sure if your's does or not. Might have just been on the CD units.

Old 08-07-2001, 01:04 PM
Post Removing Factory Radio

2l8uburn, if you can't get the removal pins from the dealer, insert the "u" shaped coat hanger pieces straight in until you feel it hit a "stop"(at this point if you keep pushing the coat hanger it will probably keep going in and make it harder to get the radio out). Once you feel the hangers stop, like biggins said, push the coat hangers sideways and away from each other. The radio should then pull out.

Old 08-07-2001, 01:29 PM
I've used the tools and coat hangers and even nails(which work really well since they don't bend so easy) and you know what? You still need to sweat it out and be patient. It helps if you can have somebody else push out on the coat hanger while you reach up there and wiggle the unit out from behind. Good luck

Old 08-09-2001, 02:16 PM
They sell the u-shaped clips specially made to remove our factory head units for abou 3 bucks anywhere you can find stereo equipment. such as wal-mart, k-mart, pepboys, autozone. I just slid them in until they locked in place and pulled out the stereo pretty easily.

Old 08-12-2001, 10:24 AM
2l8uburn, I'm trying to do the same as you, tap into the factory rear speaker wires with a line output convertor to supply a signal to my amp then send a little power to a bass tube I have under my rear seat. I didn't do it yet, because I don't know the colors of the rear speaker wires either. When I get a couple of free hours I'll take off my rear door panels and check the color of the wires to make sure I'm tapping into the right wires. So if you get yours hooked up before mine, post your results here, and I'll do the same. Later.

Quick Reply: how to get the factory head unit out???