Help me put together a system? I'm clueless

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me put together a system? I'm clueless

Hey everyone,
I've never had a new sound system and don't have any experience with any of these things so I need a little advice.

Basically looking at:
-New door speakers
-Head unit (not real fancy, either single or double DIN)
-Small, not too powerful subwoofer
-Amp, wiring, etc.

Where do I start? I don't want a top of the line system, or any kind of competition level volume..just need new speakers especially. It would be tons of help if I saw some links or a list of specific components I'd need.

Thanks a lot,
Will

Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Go to an audio shop, look, listen and play with the head units, speakers, subs. Decide what you like and then buy it all on the internet. I went and the audio shop quoted me at $1100 for EVERYTHING (hu, components, rear speakers, subs, box, amp, installations stuff) and I bought everything on the internet for under $600. Just do a lot of research. Everything depends on your budget.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by 08SILVERFX4
Go to an audio shop, look, listen and play with the head units, speakers, subs. Decide what you like and then buy it all on the internet. I went and the audio shop quoted me at $1100 for EVERYTHING (hu, components, rear speakers, subs, box, amp, installations stuff) and I bought everything on the internet for under $600. Just do a lot of research. Everything depends on your budget.
This is a good idea, but you usually don't get warranty when ordering on the internet. So if any of your stuff breaks prematurely, you're outa luck. Make sure to buy from authorized dealers even when buying online.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by wbsneed
Hey everyone,
I've never had a new sound system and don't have any experience with any of these things so I need a little advice.

Basically looking at:
-New door speakers
-Head unit (not real fancy, either single or double DIN)
-Small, not too powerful subwoofer
-Amp, wiring, etc.

Where do I start? I don't want a top of the line system, or any kind of competition level volume..just need new speakers especially. It would be tons of help if I saw some links or a list of specific components I'd need.

Thanks a lot,
Will
You're looking to put a mild wattage/good quality system in your truck?
This is what I hope to do next week.
1) Kenwood KDC-X895 Head Unit $240
2) Kenwood Excelon KFC-X683C 6x8 speakers front & rear $160 for both sets (audio shop giving me a deal)
3) Alpine MRX-V60 5 channel amp $400 (50WRMS x 4 plus 200WRMSx1@4ohms or 300WRMSx1@2ohms)
(With optional remote bass **** mounted under the dash)
4) A single Rockford Fosgate P3SD410 $180 (Punch Stage 3 Shallow 10" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils)
(Running at 2ohms 300WRMS with my amp)
5) custom Sealed box/enclosure for sub under back seat.
I'm paying just over a grand in components. I'll save on the 6x8's, but paying for the install...
Should work pretty well. Nothing over the top, but should make me smile for a while.

Priced everything out in Crutchfield. My local shop said they'd match prices.
Everything sold/installed by authorized dealer.
This set of Kenwood 6x8 speakers is $150 in crutchfield. I got them for $80 a set, he had a stack of them, trying to get rid of them.
(maybe your local shop is in the same position)
Getting my install done while I'm working. Don't have the time myself.

DIY, you'll prob spend $1000 to $1200? Total amount of time??
Might want to consider the warranty/authorized dealers mentioned earlier.
If something fries, you could be up the creek.

Quick Reply: Help me put together a system? I'm clueless