How to select a system

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to select a system

Hey guys...I want to put a system in my truck. It has been YEARS...and I do mean years since I've had a nice stereo in a vehicle. I know some, but I feel things may have change quite a bit since I was 16/17 with my boom boom systems.
I grew up when Rockford Fosgate was pretty much top dog (or in the top 3..depending on who you asked). I had 2 RF 12s with a Punch 60 in my camaro...didn't sound bad. I eventually added an Alpine 4 channel and some 6x9s. Overall decent system that sounded good considering the limited $$ I had in it.
I've heard RF has gone to pot ever since they started Retailing their products to Best Buy and the like. Is this true? Is Rockford now crap??

I must say I have always heard good things about JL Audio and have yet to see/hear a JL system that didn't impress.

Let's put money aside for a moment and talk Manufacturers. What makes one better than another. Why should I choose JL over Soundstream? Why Alpine over Orion? Why kicker over XYZ company? Growing up, nothing could beat Alpine head units. They were KING. They did innovate and others followed. I finally got an Alpine Head unit a few years back (no longer have it, it's in the vehicle I sold my mother-in-law) but I was less than impressed. Pioneers I've had I thought were better. My favorite deck of all time believe it or not was a Panasonic! Has Alpine too fallen off the mountain?

How do you know enough is enough as far as power? I'm thinking of a supercrew box with 2 10s. I was thinking of the JL 500/1 for the subs and the 300/4 for the doors. How will I know if this is TOO MUCH or NOT ENOUGH?? What determines what power amps you buy? I like loud when I WANT loud...but I like CLEAN music overall. I listen to mainly Metal/Rock (Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy, AC/DC etc) but also listen to Rap (Eminem, NWA (told you I was old skool), Eazy E, Snoop, Dre etc).

Should I get low profile subs or will regular subs fit in those supercrew boxes?

I know these are a lot of questions and I apologize. I'm just trying to get some direction so I can figure out what I want then save up for it. Thanks--DirtySCREW

Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 PM

Anyone??

Why would one buy an Alpine amp over a JL over a RF over a Orion over a Soundstream if they were all the same price and had the same RMS wattage? Same for subs?

Anyone??

---DirtySCREW

Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Someone has got to have an opinion!!!! Why did YOU buy what YOU have???--DirtySCREW

Old 11-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Have I offended anyone somehow??--DirtySCREW

Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 AM
Ok, Im going to chime in a little late here, but thats life.

My last real "big" setup had a 10" JL W7, being fed by a 500/1 JL Monoblock.
Why? A buddy had a similiar setup, I loved the sound, and wanted to stick with a single sub setup, easier to work with space size.

This got me a couple side of the road chats with local law enforcement (Noise Ordinance Violations).

I have owned quite a few setups in the last 10 years.. From MTX, to Rockford, Audiobahn, Kicker, etc etc etc. The W7, and the Kicker L7 are the setups I have been most proud of. I can find some pictures on my computer sometime, if you are interested in seeing some of these setupd (just send me a message on here). Good luck to ya!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 AM
I dont know all the name brands and ant help you all that much but research all the products you buy. Look at the customer reviews. I failed to do that and ended up with a blown amp 3 weeks after the warranty expired. It was an Infinity Reference 5350a and it has a problem with the speaker ports even tho they are "protected". I am not the only one this has happened to either. I never listened to my music at an extremely loud level and took care of my truck/system. Either way I am out $300 and drive my truck every day with no music. It sucks.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 PM
I bought my jvc navi head unit, because it was the only double din one on the market that I could find with detachable faceplate, I was strictly alpine before, but my last one cda-9887 wasn't as nice as the one before it (cd drive motor died), the one before it (stolen hence the detachable face plate requirement), and everything seemed to be an optional separate piece.

I went with the pdx amps because I heard that they sounded good, and could take a beating. Went with a supercrew sound box with the shallow 12s under the ex-cab rear seat to try and preserve as much room as possible, and it rocks hard enough to be painful if you wanted to get crazy.

I'd rather have too much and use only a portion of it, than keep trying to turn something weaker up to 11 all the time.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 PM
1. I've heard RF has gone to pot ever since they started Retailing their products to Best Buy and the like. Is this true? Is Rockford now crap??

I honestly have no first hand experience with RF but IMO they are decent but overpriced.

2. I must say I have always heard good things about JL Audio and have yet to see/hear a JL system that didn't impress.

Personally I love JL and always will because I grew up running JL stuff.

3. Let's put money aside for a moment and talk Manufacturers. What makes one better than another. Why should I choose JL over Soundstream? Why Alpine over Orion? Why kicker over XYZ company? Growing up, nothing could beat Alpine head units. They were KING. They did innovate and others followed. I finally got an Alpine Head unit a few years back (no longer have it, it's in the vehicle I sold my mother-in-law) but I was less than impressed. Pioneers I've had I thought were better. My favorite deck of all time believe it or not was a Panasonic! Has Alpine too fallen off the mountain?

Alpine, well idk I have never had one. Right now I'm using a Kenwood and really like the front USB and other features it has. IMO with head units just find one you like that does what you want it to.
Here is mine - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX...rand%7cKenwood

4. How do you know enough is enough as far as power? I'm thinking of a supercrew box with 2 10s. I was thinking of the JL 500/1 for the subs and the 300/4 for the doors. How will I know if this is TOO MUCH or NOT ENOUGH?? What determines what power amps you buy? I like loud when I WANT loud...but I like CLEAN music overall. I listen to mainly Metal/Rock (Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy, AC/DC etc) but also listen to Rap (Eminem, NWA (told you I was old skool), Eazy E, Snoop, Dre etc).

I always try to match the RMS output of the amp to the RMS wattage of the sub/speaker. You can have more power but you never want to under power your subs/speakers.

5. Should I get low profile subs or will regular subs fit in those supercrew boxes?

Check the specs of your box and compare it to the subs specs. The mounting depth with determine if it will fit. It is also important that you check the subs required box volume and make sure your box is big enough.

There is alot of general car audio info here: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Learn...egory.aspx?c=3

Post up the box you want.

Last edited by ErikShockey; 02-23-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you should buy a headunit based on personal preference. I have had my pioneer for 4 years now and love it. Still has that nice crisp sound. I have had a set of RF subs in the past and was less than impressed. They hit very well but just couldn't hold up with an amp that was underpowering them IMO. I think alot of people just like to hype up the RF products. They do however make great amps and their 1000/1, I think is one of the best amps in it's class. Even though they are very pricey, JL is just about the best audio company out there and you can't beat em. Now two brands that I have first hand experience with and loved everything about were Soundstream and RE. Both have great quality subs for the price and soundstream makes really good amps.

Quick Reply: How to select a system