Speakers Pop... Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually popping is the result of an amp seeing a turn on signal greater then what is required.

Example would be mustangs with the shaker systems going from aftermarket HU to stock. Stock amps take a 5v turn on, aftermarkets put out 12v, resulting in a pop when you turn it on.

Without seeing it in person, its tough to make anymore recommendations.

When this popping is happening, is the amp turning on/off or going into protect mode?

Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 AM
The amp is mounted on the back wall under my sliding window. I have the "carpet" insert and back seat coving it up. I can't say if it is going into prtoect mode. Wwhen I have observed it, the amp power light stays on.

Sometimes the speakers turn on and play music imediately when I start the truck. Sometimes they take a minute or two to turn on. Sometimes they pop, and sometimes there is some static coming through them until they come on.

Sometimes I notice that when I turn the truck on the speakers may not pop but they really flex up and down a couple of times with no sound coming out of them.

I think I will have to take it to a shop for diagnosis, but my fear is that the probelsm will not replicate for a technician. This is a spuratic problem that happens about 1/2 the time. They took 2 minutes to play music on my way to work yesterday, but on my way home they come on as soon as the truck was turned on.

I know this is a difficult one to diagnose without seeing it. I don't know if this gives you some more information.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Im going to bet, based on all the problems you list, that your amp is the cause of your issues.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Ok,

Is there any way to test it maybe with an electrical meter? Couold it possibly be fixed or is it even worth it?

If it is something better to replace rather than fix, is there an amp you might recommend? Keep in mind I have a low budget and and I'm not out to win competitions or break the neighbors windows, just trying to get some added base to the sound system, but will need something to power both speakers. (I would have bought lower wattage subs but I needed the 10inch low mount depth and this was really my only choice at the time)

Is there anything that might have dones this to the amp? or could it be just old as it is about 10 years old or so.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Its old and not the highest quality amp on the market.

Give me a dollar amount and I can better make a recommendation

Old 09-30-2010, 11:06 PM
I really want to stay around $150 or less. Right now $200 would be pushing it.

I appriciate your advice and recomendations

Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 AM
anyone of these three would work. They may be slightly underpowered for your subs, but the quality will be much, much better. You can get one that matches up better power wise for $200.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-...&skuId=9925029

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...&skuId=1007107

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+X...&skuId=9766728

Old 10-01-2010, 11:17 PM
I was looking at the Kenwood Class D for 199.99 I think 1000 Watt.

Might that be a better choice?? From the little that I have read the Class D amps are more efficient as well.

Any thoughts??

Old 10-02-2010, 01:53 AM
I like the kenwoods...I dont think they get the respect they deserve. Ive run quite a few of the 9104 (i think) at 1 ohm (not rated at 1 ohm) and they hold up to the test.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Would this Apline
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=8699358 work or this

Kenwood
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=9763215

Which would be your recomendation for the 2 10 inch subs I have?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:28 AM
those would be a little over powered for your subs 150rms each at 4 ohms, or 300rms each at 2 ohms. As long as you keep your gains turned down you should be fine.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Sundevil,

All your help and advice has been appriciated. I ahve some more questions for you.
Today the wife and I were driving around. Sometimes, not all the time, when going over bumps or around turns The subs would catch some static or pop. This does not happen all the time, but it has happend several times.

I have made sure that all connections are tight and secure at the battery. The power cable runs under the passenger side doors (under the plastic trim) I inspected it when I moved the RCA cables to the driver side last week. The sheathing around the power cable is all good. The power cable runs behind the front fender to the engine compartment to the battery. The ground is tightly secured to the back wall using a self tapping metal screw. All speaker wire connections are tight I pulled the HU out last week to check the wiring there and the remote wire is tight. All wires are tight to the amp. I can't see how there is a loose connection that would cause some static to come throught the speakers when I hit a bump. At the same time I take the same route to and from work every day. I hit ths same bumps and go through the same turns and most of the time never have any static or pops coming through. My assupmtion is that if it were a loose connection or bad wire it would be coming through the speakers more often If it were a problem with the power or amp ground it would blow the in line fuse. I do not have any of those problems.

I am hoping that the problem is still in my amp (maybe a loose connection inside the amp). Can you validate my thinking??

If so I will try to get the amp this week.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 PM
and to add to the mess today driving on completely smooth roads after the speakers were on for several minutres they popped several times ont he way home. I doubt they pop from a loose or bad connection somewhere to further your thinking it is the amp.

Just thought I would let you know

I'm guessint your thoughts are still the amp??

Old 10-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Sounds like it, but just for the sake of checking it, look at where the speaker wire connects to the box...is there any small strands exposed? I dont think that it would be causing the issues your getting, but you never know.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Nope.... I have cut the wires to make new connections just to make sure there is a good clean connection. I did this more to rule this possibility out. I always twist the wires so that the go into the connections without fraying or getting pushed back.

I doubt this, but is that any chance that the gryphon with a custom tune could be causing any of this??

Last edited by FX4Nick; 10-05-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: adding info

Quick Reply: Speakers Pop... Please Help