09 sync sounds like junk

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 sync sounds like junk

So, I just purchased a 09 F150 SC 4x4 Lariat. Nice truck with the absolute worst audio system. It's not the Sony, which sounds no better IMHO.

My prev F150 (still own) has an aftermarket sys that flat out rocks. The comparison between the two systems leaves me wanting much more from my new truck.

Problem is the Sync is kinda nice and I would hate to lose the nice features.

Can someone here fill me in on how Ford makes these systems? Is there a separate amp? Is it replaceable with a better Ford amp or an aftermarket one?

I know some here have upgraded the OEM Ford system, but I am not sure how they hooked it up. I am fully capable of wiring in an audio system, however, without some knowledge of the OEM system that I want to modify, I am shooting in the dark. I would really prefer to keep the stock functionality, if possible.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no reason to modify any of the basic stock stuff. We worked on a Flex the other day that had the sony system, and we thought it was a considerable upgrade from just the stock. However, the aftermarket with 4 channel we added to it was even better.

From what it sounds like, you should replace your door speakers and add a 4 channel amp. Its pretty easy to integrate an aftermarket amp into the stock system.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Sundevil,

I am not sure which system is in my 2009 Lariat SCrew, but the window sticker says:Premium 6-CD w/MP3 and is a part of the Lariat Plus package.

I am 63 and my hearing is not as good as it once was, but my auto stereo shop gave the same advise as yours. So we replaced the speakers with some Infinity's and shortly, I will get the Infinity 4 ch amp. He suggested that would probably be all I need. If I was younger, I may have opted for a DSP, as well. The speakers, alone, made a tremendous difference.

I passed on the sub for now, because I am not sure where to mount it. I want the floor available. The amp will be mounted on the back wall of the cab. The sub, I just don't know where to put it. Maybe somthing portable that I can unplug when I need the space.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Any sub box is really easy to unhook, seeing as its just a +/- speaker wire connection. Ive done one shallow sub in a truck box that sits on the floor in the back, with a switch on the sub amp remote wire. Makes it easy to shut the amp off/take the sub/box out when needed.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
Any sub box is really easy to unhook, seeing as its just a +/- speaker wire connection. Ive done one shallow sub in a truck box that sits on the floor in the back, with a switch on the sub amp remote wire. Makes it easy to shut the amp off/take the sub/box out when needed.
That should work.

Thanks.............

Old 09-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Bluerider
That should work.

Thanks.............
Anytime man...If you've got any more questions just post up.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Well, thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming!

I took all the stereo equpt out of my old truck and I may use some of it in the new truck.

I guess I will need to convert the speaker level output to line level, so it will work with my amp. That in itself is not a huge deal. Still, some loss in sound quality will result. I am certain the extra HP will overcome any minor increase in distortion, especially at high volume.

Just for fun, while removing all the aftermarket audio stuff from my older truck, I left the aftermarket speakers in and hooked up the OEM Ford radio. It actually sounds much better than my new Ford truck!!!! That is until you try to get some volume out of it.

Chris

Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
There is no reason to modify any of the basic stock stuff. We worked on a Flex the other day that had the sony system, and we thought it was a considerable upgrade from just the stock. However, the aftermarket with 4 channel we added to it was even better.
Does the Sony system have a separate amp? Do you know if my system does?

Chris

Old 09-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by cujet

Chris
Im sure it does, just like the bose/jbl/infinity stock systems. As to where it might be at, I couldnt tell you. Trucks though usually have them burried in the center console/up behind the radio/behind the glove box.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by cujet

Chris
Yes, the Sony system as an amp. Two of them. One is with the sub woofer and the other is under the center console.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 AM
So, the next question is,

Can a Sony OEM amp be added to my system, or is there a line level output from the current head unit?

I ordered some speakers, Boston's for the front and Kenwood's for the rear. The reason for this choice was decent customer reviews and high efficiency. Plus, Crutchfield is willing to exchange the speakers if I don't care for the sound. I don't generally like the somewhat tinny sound of Infinity speakers, so I did not order them. Even though Infinity's are very efficient.

The next order of business is a custom sub box that takes up very little room. I have some 6.5 inch Elemental Designs subs (the ones with over an inch of cone travel). They require a good bit of power and equalization. However, I may be able to make a fiberglass box that form fits to the truck without taking up floor space when the seats are up. (need room for dogs).

Chris

Old 10-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Get an aftermarket amp for your door speakers. The sony amp could be made to work, but I couldnt even begin to tell you what the out put on them might be.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Sundevil, what is your take on using a LOC? Does it make the end result sound like doo-doo? I went with a MTX RE-Q5 which is supposed to get rid of the bass loss at higher volume levels.....but it doesn't. Granted I tapped into the wires at the plug before the amp and MTX says to go after the amp. I dunno.

And sorry to hi-jack the thread. I am getting tired of pulling the console out!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Ive heard plenty of LOC sound just fine, but you will lose sound quality. Something like a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty would be best.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:24 PM
So, I installed some 6 x 8 Boston's to see if the system improves. It is better, but not by much. The OEM speakers have wizzer cones (no tweeter) and do not produce the highs very well. The Boston's have excellent tweeters, but produce less bass.

Still, the Ford head unit does not perform well. It distorts easily and the bass rolls off as you turn up the volume.

I find this very hard to understand or to justify. Hey, I did not choose the 700W Sony system, so I don't expect 700 watts. But, I do expect decent quality in a $43,500 truck's Lariat head unit, like any base model aftermarket head unit currently has.

Quick Reply: 09 sync sounds like junk