help me with my system

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me with my system

i have a jvc kdr600 head unit and my stock speakers are all but dead. Im gonna replace all 4 speakers and get an amp. I know nothin about this but i know i need a 4 channel amp for 4 speakers. But i read somewhere i need to run 2 sets of cables from my head unit to the amp for 4 channel is that true? and how do i do that? im trying to decide between these two amps one two. and i think ill go with these speakers behind seat front door.
are those speakers ok and which amp? then the wiring kit. and i guess i need some speaker wire to is 14 gauge good? and i guess the speakers will come with some kind of harness so could i just solder the new speaker wire to the wires with the speakers? thanks for the help

Last edited by stealthsniper96; 08-21-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:37 AM

I'm pretty sure what they were referring to is your RCA cables from your headunit to your amp. And yes, you'd need two sets, 1 set for the front 2 channels (doors) and 1 set for the rear 2 channels (behind seat). Some headunits also offer a 3rd set of RCA's for sub control. It seems like your headunit only offers 1 set of RCA's. Now I've only installed one system, so maybe someone on here with more experience can chime in. I'm not sure if you could just connect one set of RCA's to the amp and just forfeit the ability to fade front and back. Not sure if it works that way. Are you trying to stick to a certain budget?

"Added" - Ok, thought about it a bit more and unless someone corrects me, I'm pretty sure you can't use 1 set of RCA's to control 4 channels. Here are my thoughts. I'm ok, if someone corrects me. You might be able to connect a harness from your JVC to the "high level input" (speaker wire) on either of the amps you've selected. You could then control all 4 speakers. Or, if you're JVC is capable, and what I did prior to getting a second amp, was have your JVC power the 2 rear speakers and run 1 set of RCA's to your amp and have the amp power the 2 front speakers. Traditionally you want the better sound and power coming from those front speakers so you'd want your better speakers there and the amp power. So if you go this route you have some things to remember and think about. You could go with a 2 channel amp instead or still get the 4 channel to allow for upgrading of your headunit in the future if you so desire. Also, if your JVC allows you to split the signal like this, it appears that your RCA's to your amp are designated as your "Rear" channel. But you'd still connect that to your front speakers and you'd connect the "front speaker" wires (from the JVC) to the rear speakers (behind seat). Then when doing the fading front and rear, it would just be opposite but no biggie as long as you know it. If I don't get contradicted, I hope I helped.

Are you planning to do this install yourself?

Last edited by russ10screw; 08-22-2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 08-22-2009, 02:35 AM

Ok, one more set of info. Sorry, its late and my mind is racing. I looked at pictures of your truck. Pretty slick. I like it. But with it being a pretty compact standard cab truck, (meaning not a lot of room behind the seat) I'd almost combine your budget and go with a nicer set of component or nice 2 or 3 way speakers for your front doors and bag the rears (behind seat). You could get a higher quality speaker and get a nice full sound out of them, especially using an amp. Something like the Polk Audio db5251. (I'm a huge Polk fan) or the Infinity Reference 6020cs. This one has a 6 1/2" midrange which would give you a little more depth than the 5 1/4". This is roughly the combined total you'd be spending on those 2 sets of speakers you originally posted. Something to think about.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by stealthsniper96
i have a jvc kdr600 head unit and my stock speakers are all but dead. Im gonna replace all 4 speakers and get an amp. I know nothin about this but i know i need a 4 channel amp for 4 speakers. But i read somewhere i need to run 2 sets of cables from my head unit to the amp for 4 channel is that true? and how do i do that? im trying to decide between these two amps one two. and i think ill go with these speakers behind seat front door.
are those speakers ok and which amp? then the wiring kit. and i guess i need some speaker wire to is 14 gauge good? and i guess the speakers will come with some kind of harness so could i just solder the new speaker wire to the wires with the speakers? thanks for the help
In order to run a 4 channel off that deck, you need a peripheral ISVE-61...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1156203597652

Most decks come with at least 2 sets of preouts. 1 front and 1 thats selectable for rear or sub. Yours unfortuneatly just has 1 sub preout. Yes, 12 guage speaker wire should be just fine for what your doing. Most speakers do come with leads that push onto the terminals that you can solder onto your speaker wire from the amp.

Quick Reply: help me with my system