Started my build yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the internal ground is touching somethn insde the amp frame

Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Ive had to put my build on hold until after the weekend. Im working on my masters degree while being a teacher. My finals are saturday and am trying to finish up my class projects that I should have been doing instead of working on my truck. pics and updates on sunday!!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Frustrated update

well... i haven't been able to do anything since it seems to rain everyday here and i work outside on my truck... the one thing i did get to do was redo my amp board. The 1/4 masonite was great except i had the grounding issue with the one amp. So i went back with a 2ft by 4ft sheet of 1/2 MDF. It needed to be about 4 inches wider to get my amps on there (you will see the over hang in the pics) so i just took a couple of scrap pieces painted them black. screwed them to the back wall under the outside mounts of the outer amp. I didnt want to have to buy more carpet, so i covered the board with some leftover microsuede that i had put on my headliner in my old truck. it looks good except when you have to move something. the hole looks ugly, but nobody will see it once i get the back seat back on. I have no idea when i will be able to get the sub box built. My box guy is swamped at the store (which i guess is a good thing for them)

In the meantime tho, i have purchased a 300.2 to run my front components. I have been searching and searching for the JL VR653 3ways. but havent had much success in locating any. Thought I had a set on ebay but then in the last 4 minutes, the bidding went crazy. where should i mount my crossovers?

still have a couple of more projects to work on.
1. mount and wire the rear view camera
2. take my HU back out and install the PAC unit for my steering wheel controls
3. Remote start up (but think im gonna let the professionals do that, unless i find a great how-to thread on here)
4. figure out how to mount my 3way components once i buy them.
5. big 4 swap
6. battery and alternator upgrade

here are a few photos of my amp rack with the distro blocks and power wire mounted. still workin on how to clean up my RCAs and speaker wires. Im thinking about running a length of flex loom at the base of my back wall and have spots for the speaker wire and rcas to come up straight to their amps.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brings back memories!!! Keep on truckin boss!!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Just when i thought i was never gonna get my box built, my guy called me tonight and said to bring it in the morning. we not sure about porting yet. but he believes that we will have to fire them up to have any chance at it. i will have a few pics up of the box build 2mrw night!!

Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 AM
Looks great man.

I assume when you say your doing remote starte your doing security at the same time? You'd be crazy not too.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:21 AM

Why are you so set on the JL components? You can find the Hertz High Energy 3 ways (HSK 163) decently priced and they will sound great. My friend has a set in his Silverado and they impressed me for passives.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:41 AM
HSK163's will murder a set of XR 3-ways...

Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 PM
the hertz do sound better and get louder than the jl's

Old 05-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Im not really hung up on JL, but im one to like for everything to match. Ill look into the hertz, but what is a ballpark figure on a set of the 3 ways? and where to find. the website doesn't have prices, so who sells them?

Im looking for the thread that shows where the guy added some brackets to the top notch for the rear seat to add some depth to the room behind the backrest. I can get it on with a little persuasion, but would feel a little more comfortable with some more breathing room. If anybody can help me, or remember who did it I would appreciate it.

Well I got the box done, and all I can say is WOW!! I didnt expect it to be so loud. Paul was able to downfire and port the box. with the lift kit, he was able to make the box go up on the lip that is under the seat. the ports are dual 4 inch diameter, 28 inch long. we both had our doubts, but that is what the JL guy told him. The box was a little tight at first, so i pulled out the Luxery Liner and the jute that is on the back of the carpet on the hump in the center of the floor. I also added 2 washers to act as spacers on the back brackets of the lift kit to give a little extra wiggle room. When we went to put it under the seat, it just still seemed too tight. So with a little encouragement with a hammer, i beat the corners of the seat pans. Sucker went right in. Probably should have done that before all the other mess I tried. Well here are a few pics of the box in progress and kinda the end product.

I still have to clean up the wires and am having an issue with the lift kit. It just isn't made real good. the center hinge keeps allowing the 60 part of the bottom seat to come loose. Im just glad to have it in, so Im gonna take a couple days break from workin on it. Maybe it will quit raining by then.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:28 AM

How much airspace? I cant imagine more than 2.2cu ft or so for both drivers. Those must be tuned pretty high.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Nobody can remember who had the rear seat brackets to give some more room behind the seat? just trying to figure out how to do it.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Inch by inch

Got a little more done today. but it seems everytime I go outside and get the doors open, the clouds darken and it starts to rain. But the last 2 days I have kinda went back and touched up some.

Ive gotten an iPod for the first time, so I am learning how to use iTunes and load it all onto the thing. Definately a learning process.

mSall, I have ordered some more door speakers (but you may not like em since I got some more JLs ) I got some XR650-CXi for the rear and some XR650-CSi for the fronts. They both have passive crossovers with them. Everybody is against mounting them inside the doors for obvious wear and tear issues. It seems like an awful lot of speaker wire to mount them on the back wall, plus im not sure if there is room. Im open to suggestions.

I fixed my 60 lower rear seat issue by putting a nut (used for a spacer) on the middle hinge. it pushed the hinge over to where it is even between the two seat sections.

I ordered a manual adjustable replacement seat belt from seatbeltsplus.com. their 2 point, end release belt is an exact replacement. it cost all of $18.95 plus shipping. So for everybody that is worried about not having a middle seatbelt, here is an alternative to having that big thing taking up all of your back wall.

I tried to attempt to install my rear camera, i searched an found which wires to tap into on my 7 pin tow plug. had it all wired and got nothing. thought i had a bad camera. took it off and wired it to my amp just to see if it worked, came right on. so i guess my tow plug is bad or something. i want my camera to be powered anytime my truck is on. so my queston is: where else at the back of my truck can i wire my power?

Finally got my bass controller hooked up, never will i own another system without one!!

My 300.2 also came in (got it for $150 so i couldn't pass it up) I went ahead and mounted it just to complete the back wall.

Well thats all i have done for now. i dont have much of a plan anymore since my system plays. i guess i shouldn't have fired it up until I had everything installed, haha.

i have searched and searched the site for the thread about the rear seat extensions that somebody put on the top of their rear seat, and can't find squat!! nobody remembers???

only have a couple of pics:

my replacement middle seat belt and latch. used the buckle for the drivers side passenger since my middle seat belt was connected to the factory buckle.

All my amps mounted. Wish i didnt have to put in my rear seat. I just like lookin at my back wall!!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 7Rook7
SNIP...
HOLY COW! So can you do a simple break down of which amps are connected to which drivers?

Also, I wanted to come back here and mention to you that, despite what I said previously, I DO also have the same seat belt dilemma that you have/had. I really did not think my rear seat belts were missing! I NEVER have anyone in the rear of my truck (once a month) so it wasnt until my staff got in and could not buckle up that I realized I was wrong in what I said.

So now, it is time for me to find at least one new latch. I may just go to the Ford parts dept. and order an identical one to the dual latches on the pass. side. Granted I will only have two buckles and four latches. But I have never had five people in my truck at one time...

The "passengers" side buckle you used has me confused. I guess I need to get in better touch with my rear seat belt issue.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Damn! This build is getting more and more impressive everytime you update.

Quick Reply: Started my build yesterday.