Engine Noise Coming from Non-Amplified Speakers Only on XM

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Noise Coming from Non-Amplified Speakers Only on XM

Good afternoon,
I tried PM'ing Mr. Low E Red, but his box is full, so I thought I'd try here and see if anyone has any insight.

System is currently as follows
- JVC KW-NX7000 Deck
- XM & Bluetooth adapters
- Rockford Fosgate 5x7 compoents in front and rear doors
- Sub box in factory location w/ 1 JL10w1 sub
- Kicker 300x1 amp for sub - Fosgates running off of deck power

Ok here's the problem. ONLY when using XM I get engine noise from the speakers. I have never had engine noise problems with non amplified speakers before so Im kinda lost and its only on XM so I think there is an issue w/ the adapter itself.

The adapter requires a splice in of a yellow and black wire. Yellow for constant power and black of course for ground. I have a feeling that this is the problem. I just spliced into the JVC wiring harness to use the yellow and black there. I'm thinking the engine noise is generated from there and going through the speaker wires.

Should I try a different power and ground source for the XM adapter? Any other ideas or tips?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Did you get my email?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Did you get my email?
No sorry I didn't. We've been having work email issues lately. I just resent another one to you with a new email address, hopefully that will work.

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:59 PM
After talking with a few stereo shops around town as well as speaking with Crutchfields tech support directly, they all suggest rewiring the XM adapter to something else.

I think I'm going to wire it to the cigarette lighter. That doesn't switch off when the truck does and this needs a constant 12v. Anything else around there that has a constant 12v that anyone knows of?

Any other ideas on why this might be happening?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 PM
The cig lighter should work just fine. I dont know why the deck harness would be giving you engine noise though. Did you just crimp the 3 yellows and the 3 blacks together? Or did you splice?

Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
The cig lighter should work just fine. I dont know why the deck harness would be giving you engine noise though. Did you just crimp the 3 yellows and the 3 blacks together? Or did you splice?
Yeah it makes no sense whatsoever. I've never heard engine noise from speakers that weren't amplified, so I'm just as lost as everyone else. Thankfully since I bought it from Crutchfield, they have offered to replace it if this solution does not solve it.

I don't crimp anything. I soldered everything and taped up each solder joint. So they are all in there together. I have no clue what the problem is, but I certainly hope this fixes it.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Check all wires and connections. Its sounding like a crimped wire (J-Bus probably...).

Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Actually I removed the wiring from the XM and rewired it to the cigarette lighter wiring.

Still have the noise

Old 03-22-2009, 02:06 AM
Ya, its either a JBus issue or its in the unit itself. Call Crutchfield for a replacement.

Oh and one other thing to try. Switch the order of the auxillary devices. eg. BT then XM to XM then BT.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks Low. I am pretty sure the instructions said I had to put the BT first, but I'll try swapping them out and switching the order and see what they do. I'll be on the phone w/ Crutchfield tomorrow to return it if this doesn't fix it.

Thanks again

Old 03-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Problem solved, for the most part

I swapped the order they are hooked up and now instead of JVC - BT - XM I now have it JVC - XM - BT. No more engine noise at all when using the XM

Unfortunately I now have a little bit when using the BT, but I can live with it. I don't use it very often and when I do, I will happily handle that versus all the time w/ the XM.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine Noise Coming from Non-Amplified Speakers Only on XM