CB Antenna Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2000, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CB Antenna Installation

I am new to the forum and to the F150. I love mine though and would like to install a CB radio and antenna, the antenna somewhere on the bed rails... I guess. I have not been able to find any information here and would appreciate any help, pointers, or comments. Like - do I have to drill holes in my cab? Should I mount the antenna on the roof (will it leak later?)? Thanks for any constructive help here as it should be obvious by now that I am not too familiar with this...

------------------
'99 F150 4x2 4.6

Old 12-05-2000, 12:54 AM
Welcome, Chemist. I just mounted a CB radio in my supercrew last weekend. I put the antenna on the front left fender and used a L shaped bracket that attached to the fender in the crack between the hood and the fender. This is a common bracket and you should be able to find one at any CB shop. There is a through-hull fitting just under the steering wheel shaft (if that's what it's called) It's a rubber punch through in the fire wall and you can punch it out, punch a hole in the middle of the rubber for your cb antenna wire, and run it into the cab to hook up to the radio. That way you don't have to punch any holes in the cab. This is a convenient place to mount the antenna - it doesn't get in the way of anything going in or out of your bed, and it doesn't sit so high that it hits every parking garage you go in (like the ones on the roofs do). Good Luck!

Old 12-05-2000, 07:59 AM
Also check out http://www.firestick.com for more options many stores carry there products.
In addition to the ford hood channel mount they also have mounts that utilize the stake bed pockets. Good luck.
<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~cdtackett/index.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>
I think you can see the antenna in this shot

------------------
Y2K F150 4x4 XL Med Torredor Red
4.2 5 speed,AIRAID, SuperCHIP,
3.55 LS, Leer camper shell, bedrug,
Ranchhand Rover Brushguard with 6 LIGHTS and
Wireless remote switch Tint/alarm/ aftermarket keyless entry/locks
2m/10m/11m/12m radios, Scanner
LT285/75/16 BFG All Terrains
regulator@f150driver.com

Old 12-05-2000, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the pointers. I did find that firestick.com should be firestik.com. The latter site was real helpful with a lot of details.

Thanks again.

------------------
'99 F150 4x2 4.6

Old 12-05-2000, 11:44 PM
You can kinda see mine in this pic. All I did was leave out the top 2 bolts on the brackets and tightened the bottom 2 down to squeeze the top together. This way there aren't any holes in the bed.

------------------
1997 F-150 Lariat
Ext Cab Short Box
4x4 Off Road Package
3.55 Gears
265/75 R16 Uniroyal Laredo M/Ts

My 2 cents worth

Old 12-06-2000, 07:25 PM
Hi guys. I already have a Uniden Pro510XL in my'97 F-150. It's mounted in the empty port just below the steering wheel on the right side. I have one of those antennas that attaches to the glass on the rear window. It looks kind of like a cell phone antenna. I want to replace it with 2 duals sort of like the ones in powerstroke73's picture. Powerstroke73, how did you run the wires? Are they going in through the bottom of the rear window, or through the rear of the cab somehow? Also, would those brackets interfear with a tool box in the rear of the bed? Anyones input would be appreciated.

Old 12-07-2000, 05:58 PM
Pioneer
I don't have the wires run yet because I'm still making my new running boards, I will end up running the wire between the bed and cab and then across the supports of the running boards and in through the lower front corner of the door. I had it set up like that on my Ranger and it was pretty trick. With the tool box if it is a saddle box you can't mount the antennas where I have them. When I get my toolbox I will mount my antennas to the front of the toolbox.

------------------
1997 F-150 Lariat
Ext Cab Short Box
4x4 Off Road Package
3.55 Gears
265/75 R16 Uniroyal Laredo M/Ts

My 2 cents worth

Quick Reply: CB Antenna Installation