Custom stereo bezel

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2000, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Custom stereo bezel

Hi all,

I just put in an Alpine head unit and DVD player in the stock stereo location (it is double din if you do a little work ). Just finished rebuilding the stock stereo bezel and I'm looking for some way to make it matcht the rest of the dash plastic. We tried a product called wrinkle finish from plastic kote (it's a spray-paint like substance that wrinkles up), the problem is that the finish doesn't come out even and there is no good way to apply a touch up. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd rather not have to cover it in vinyl if I can help it. We made if fit really tight and if I have to cover it I'll probably be sanding it for 2 weeks.

Thanks,
W

------------------
99 Lightning
Superchip
Bedrug
LoRider Hard tonneau (w/remote unlock)
PSP filter
Bassani Full system
Superchip, PSP chip, Swanson chip
Alpine DVD, CD changer, V12 amp, 2 JL 8" subs, 6 tweet in door, JL 5x7 in rear

Old 07-27-2000, 03:53 PM
W,

Is your dash similar to that of a 98 Expedition? Did you have to cut some of the dash? I have an Eclipse 7002 in dash LCD and 5962 in dash 6 disc changer. I had to cut out the metal piece behind the OEM HU and trim the insides a little. But cosmetically,in the exterior nothing is noticeable with the units installed. I presume you have the Alpine 1005 and 5200 right? The place where I purchased my stereo actually said it would be easier to install the alpine set up since the alpine units are not as deep as the Eclipse. Here is a pic:

Think you can post a pic to take a look at your set-up.

Robert

------------------
98 Green Eddie Baur Expedition 4x4, 5.4L
3.73 gears, Four corner LLS, tan leather
Modifications:
Stereo Attenna replaced with smaller one
Green Monochromatic Paint Job (EB trim and bumpers)
Billet grilles
18in Lexani chrome rims wrapped w/ Bridgetone Duellers H/P
MagnaFlow Dual Rear Exhaust
Lowered 1.5in all around (by Full Effect)
Front clear corner lenses
Two front/side windows tinted.
Stereo:
Eclipse 7002 in-dash LCD monitor
Eclipse 5962 in-dahs 6 disc cd changer (had to modify behind dash to install)
Accele TV tuner w/ 2 diversity antennas mounted on each power quarter window
Accele Hi-Fi VCR custom installed in front console
Alpine 8081 digital alarm with paging system
Coming Attractions:
Superchip
Air management system
JL stealthbox
and possibly upgrading to 20in rims

Old 08-05-2000, 04:45 AM
The dashes may be similar (it's a little hard to tell from the picture). The thing is, when you put the Alpine units in, the faceplates are a little smaller than the can of each unit, so there is a thin gap between the two units unlike in your installation. We originally tried to build a kit out of plastic and foam, but I didn't think it looked that great, and I thought that it would look really trick to rebuild the dash so that it was a very tight fit. The problem that we've run into is that the wrinkle paint finish that we're using to try to match the rest of the black plastic of the dash is very touchy. If the coat is not exactly the same thickness everywhere, the texture does not come out the same. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow so you can see what I mean. I've heard of some spay coating that is used on Gun stocks (primarily pistol handles I believe), but I haven't had time to check it out yet. I was hoping someone might have an idea for me about how to go about getting an even and similar to stock texture applied to the rebuilt dash piece.

Thx,
W

Old 08-05-2000, 01:00 PM
Try http://www.selectproducts.com/home/ They have texture paint made to match factory textures.

------------------
Red '97 F-150 SC 4x4 off-road, 16" rims instead of factory 17"'s(borrowed from old '97 reg cab), BFG 265/75 16 all terrain T/A, K&N filter with modified air box, Flowmaster 40 with duals out back, Expedition center console, 3" rear seat lift, after market stereo seen at HTTP://members.sounddomain.com/red97,

Old 08-06-2000, 12:59 AM
Try ghttp://www.selectproducts.com/home/ They have texture paint made to match factory textures.

------------------
Red '97 F-150 SC 4x4 off-road, 16" rims instead of factory 17"'s(borrowed from old '97 reg cab), BFG 265/75 16 all terrain T/A, K&N filter with modified air box, Flowmaster 40 with duals out back, Expedition center console, 3" rear seat lift, after market stereo seen at HTTP://members.sounddomain.com/red97,

Old 08-15-2000, 01:09 AM

There's how it came out. I ended up using spray on bedliner for the texture. Here is a picture of the full dash.

Ps - I swear I'm entering the code for the images correctly, but I must be missing something. If they don't show, you can see them at http://members.xoom.com/wmounday/Lightning.htm

------------------
99 Lightning
Bedrug
LoRider Hard tonneau (w/remote unlock)
PSP filter
Bassani Full system
Superchip, PSP chip, Swanson chip
Alpine DVD, CD changer, V12 amp, 2 JL 8" subs, 6 tweet in door, JL 5x7 in rear

[This message has been edited by Wheels (edited 08-15-2000).]

Quick Reply: Custom stereo bezel