FM modulated CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2000, 08:35 AM
Jag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post FM modulated CD changer

I'm new to this board and maybe this subject has been discussed before. I purchased a '98 F150 4X4 extended cab last Saturday. It has the factory AM/FM/Cassette player. I would like to somehow add a CD player or changer.

radiosandmore.com sells the factory AM/FM/CD player but they sort of indicate that you need to purchase the Premium sound system upgrade for an additional $200.

Has anyone put the Ford FM modulated 6 CD changer in their F150? If so, how is the sound quality? Also, where did you mount/locate the control unit?

Thanks for any info.

Old 04-06-2000, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't consider a fm modulator at all unless it's your only outlet. My beef with these are that your cd's can never sound anybetter than a good radio station. I like those twinkling highs too well to listen to radio like sound from my cd's.

Just my .02

------------------
1998 F150 XLT, extended cab 3 door,Pacific Green, towing package, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS,Lund deflector, K&N Air Filter, Diamond Plate Toolbox, Whistler Radar Dectector, Uniden Police Scanner, 29WX-ST Cobra CB Radio. A Clarion Security System with Keyless Entry,
Audio Mods
Kenwood KDC-6011 CD player/changer control head unit.
JL 10" sub-woofer
Fultron "Depth Charge" amp 200w max.
4, TR570-CX JL Audio Coaxial Speakers (factory location)

Go see my truck and my Grandfather's truck at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992" TARGET=_blank>

Http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992

</A>

Old 04-07-2000, 12:42 AM
I've got a Sony 10 disc mounted under the Left side passenger seat in my SC. It's true that the highs are not brilliant like a top of the line system, but I attribute much of that problem to the mediocre stock speakers. With an amp and some good speakers, I think it would sound fine to most ears. If you value convenience & value over state-of-the-art sound, the FM systems are fine.

Sometimes Sony has special prices on hard wired (NOT FM modulated) 10 disk changer systems w/new head units. I got one for my wife's car - 10 disc changer + & 45 watt x 4 head AM/FM cassette delivered to my door for $280. Same system was at major chains discounted for $300 + tax. BTW, it says 45 watts max, but actual is 14 watts per channel. Sounds pretty good w/component front speakers, but needs more bass.

Old 04-07-2000, 10:28 PM
Cool

The factory radio does not have cd controls on it, so you can't use an interface cable. I have an rf, and it works just fine (see sig.)

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Kenwood 10-disk cd changer, Kenwood am/fm cassette head unit, Ford bugshield, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Ventshades, Ford bedliner, Lund Premier tonneau cover, cab and bed professionally undercoated, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna and Astatic power mic, ported MAF sensor, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Quick Reply: FM modulated CD changer