CD Changer question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2000, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CD Changer question???

Hi just installed my new cd changer. This is my first cd changer ever. It seems to work great, no skips and sounds very clear. Whenver I push the button to go to a different disc the changer makes a "reeeerrr click click" sound. Is this normal?

Thanx

Old 01-17-2000, 12:16 AM
Cool

That sound is very normal. What you are hearing is the disc being tansported from the "reading section" or motor assembly to the case for storage. Then the indexing table will select a new CD, click to remove it and transport it to the read section! Happy listening

Old 01-17-2000, 09:04 PM
I have a Sony and its pretty quiet. The older Pioneer in my wife's TBird sounds just like you describe, and it's been in there for about 5 years with no problems.

------------------
1999 XLT S/C, 4.2 V-6, auto, 3.55 rear, dark torreador red/harvest gold, bed liner, Sony 10 disc CD, Edelbrock IAS, K&N filter, Superchip

Old 01-17-2000, 09:19 PM
Red face

Thanx for the quick replys. I have another question though. Can these units take alot of abuse. I don't mean intentinally beating it with a baseball bat or anything but just the wear and tear of everyday driving. Such as a grocery bag toppling over or something or the kids accidentally kicking it while sittting in the back seat (YIKES)...As soon as I finished installing it my son was outside looking at it (at night) with a mag lite flash light, and practacly dropped the damn thing right on the changer. I am kinda worried wether or not it did any damage. I tested the unit and it seems to work fine though. I baught a JVC unit and am very happy so far. Sorry to sound a bit paranoid but I hope to get a long life out of this unit

Talk to yall later
Jason

[This message has been edited by jason23 (edited 01-17-2000).]

Old 01-17-2000, 11:19 PM
You can buy a protective little box to go over the changer. I saw them today at Good Guys & Circuit City, but I forget what the catchy name was. They were about $30, and I think they were plastic, but covered in some sort of mouse fur carpet stuff. They had them in the usual interior colors. Besides protecting the unit, they help to conceal it as well, and have a trap door/w velco at the front where you load your changer. I think they were sort of a universal size, so if your 12 CD player is much bigger than most, it might not fit.

I haven't hit my Sony too hard as it is very well protected (had to put it under one of the rear seats in the SuperCab), but my wife's Pioneer is in her trunk and it has occasionally gotten bashed over the last 5 years, with no ill effects. I think if the changers can survive hitting pot holes in sportscars with stiff suspensions, they are probably pretty tough. The exterior metal case is probably well designed to protect the vitals, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could dent the exterior pretty good and not harm the player.

One of the repair guys I talked to said the most common problem is people misloading the discs. They load much better if you swing the individual carrier slot for each CD all the way out. If you try to slip the disc in while barely opening the little tray, the CD is much more likely to get sideways and seize up the unit.

[This message has been edited by dirt bike dave (edited 01-17-2000).]

Quick Reply: CD Changer question???