CD Changer Placement ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CD Changer Placement ?

I bought a cheap MP3 cd changer (NeoChanger) and want to install it in my S-Crew. It came with the factory cables so that part is easy, the part I am unsure of is placement and cable routing. I have a storage compartment behind the back seat on the driver side. Nothing is in there and I am not sure why it is there so my first thought is that would be a perfect place for the changer. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to use this compartment? Another question is what is the easiest route for the cable? I don't want to pull seats etc. unless I really have to. Finally do I have to pull the plastic piece around the stereo on the dash to remove the H/U and access the cable assembly? Thanks in advance for all assistance......

Old 11-26-2003, 09:09 AM
Is there any reason I wouldn't want to use this compartment?
The changer may not be as accessible as you'd like. If you're a put-6-in-and-forget-it kind of person, this would be a great place. If you like to constantly change your CD lineup, you should think about the console.

what is the easiest route for the cable?
As straight a line as possible. I don't have a high end system, but IMO the best route is up the middle of the cab. Using the edge of the cab by the door sills is an area subject to all traffic in and out of the truck - in addition to possible exposure to water (in lousy weather).

Also, how long is the cable? Nothing worse than coming up a foot or two short!

I don't want to pull seats etc. unless I really have to.
If you decide to go up the middle, you'll find it MUCH easier to get under the carpet by removing the back seat. If the SCrew is like the S/C, you'll find the carpet splits (front/rear) under the console. SO, remove the back seats and center console to get under the carpet. If you remove the facia covering the heater, you can go straight up to the HU. If you have a front bench, you might want to remove it too....

Finally do I have to pull the plastic piece around the stereo on the dash to remove the H/U and access the cable assembly?
Yes. But, you'll find this is by far the easiest part of your job

Good Luck

Old 11-26-2003, 10:42 AM
CD Changer Reply

Spridel, thanks for your reply. The cable length is 15ft so I should have enough cable. The other item I forgot to mention is that I have the split bench seats. The console is part of my front seat so I don't think I could appropriately mount and route the cable in that area but I will look at it to see if it is possible. Reading a different thread here I saw someone suggested using velcro and placing the unit under the seat. Since I haven't tried or even thought of that approach before does anyone know if it works reliably and keeps the changer reasonably in place? Thanks again for the insite and advice..............and Beer Me

Old 11-26-2003, 10:52 AM
6-Disc Changer

Don't know if it was the factory set-up or not, but my 6-disc player is located behind the passenger rear seat. It is a pita to change the discs and I agree with Spridel about moving it to a more easily access location if you can. I have thought about doing that to mine. I may have to look at putting it under the front seat.

Quick Reply: CD Changer Placement ?