Viper/Python alarm system question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper/Python alarm system question

Anybody have the Viper or Python alarm system hooked up to their Ford? I have a 2001 F-150 and the Ford dealership I'm having this installed at is having "difficulties" such as rough idling. When I brought the truck in, there was definitely no rough idling going on.

Any insight would be great. Thanks.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:18 PM
I have the Python 880 and have had no problems with rough-idle. This is just a stab here, but try re-learning the tach. If I remember correctly, there are a couple of places the get the tach signal from. Mine is connected on the left side of the engine to one of the injector wires. Maybe they could try a different location.

Good luck and let us know what they find.

Old 10-01-2003, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, my car knowledge (or lack there of) is killing me b/c I don't follow all you are saying. When you say "tach," are you referring to the tachometer? And when you say "re-learning," are you basically saying "take a look at?" I'm not trying to be funny here, I really don't know!

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-02-2003, 12:04 AM
I've got an Avital (also made by DEI) remote start/alarm, and haven't had any problems with rough idle. Are you saying you have remote start, or just an alarm? I don't see how either would affect how your truck runs, unless the installer messed something up.

When he says relearn, I think he's referring to a remote start. It monitors your RPM's. If they go too high or low it will shut off to keep from damaging the engine.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:19 PM
Its the remote start Python system...same as Viper systems. I had it done at Ford, but they just have an installer from another company come put it in. I spoke w/ the installer who told me he's been putting car alarms in for 10 yrs and its definitely hooked up right. So maybe this idling issue the dealership is talking about is unrelated, but I have a hard time swallowing this since it was running just fine when I brought it in. I should hear back from them soon.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Just heard back,problem has nothing to do with the alarm. I guess it was just a coincidence. The problem was the #8 coil was fried.

Hopefully that's all it is and this won't be an issue anymore.

Thanks for your help/suggestions/insight.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Glad you got it fixed!

Quick Reply: Viper/Python alarm system question