Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Block Heater

I'm thinking of getting a block heater for my 99 F-150. Is it good to use just to decrease warm up time or should it only be used for extremly cold weather?

Old 01-28-2001, 12:00 AM
Thumbs up

We use block heaters alot up here as it is regularly less than -30. They don't bring the engine up to operating temperature but certainly warm the engine up enough that it will turn over quite easily. Cheap investment for sure starts. Never had a vehicle that was plugged in to a "hitching post" fail to start and that includes diesels. See other thread this site about 5.4 V8 in cold starts. Save on engine wear and battery drain with this.

Old 01-28-2001, 09:56 PM
I usually plug in when it gets colder than zero. Don't need it when it is warmer.

Old 01-31-2001, 05:23 PM
Stephen Muscio,
I am moving from Louisiana to Kenai, AK. I know it doesn't get as cold in Kenai as Fairbanks, but what is your opinion, should I install a block heater? I've heard the best heater is the pump that circulates and heats the coolant (as opposed to the old dipstick warmers). Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 01-31-2001, 07:43 PM
RockOFFROAD,
What part of Lafayette are you from. We just moved away to Houston from there. We were in the Youngsville area. Sorry to hear that you are having to leave cajun country. Too many people are having to leave these days! Oilfield related?

------------------
2001 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, Dark Highland Green / Arizona Beige, Medium Parchment Leather (Captain's Chairs), 5.4L V8, 6 CD Changer, Rear Entertainment System, Rear Slider, 3.55 Limited Slip, Tow Package, AirForce One FIPK, Bedrug, Extang Tuff Tonno III, DRLs, Bed Extender.

Next Mods - Superchip, Gibson Exhaust, Headers, Hellig Anti-Sway, Bug Deflector, Fog Lights, White Face Gauges, & New Speakers!
Future Wish List - Magnacharger!!

Old 02-01-2001, 01:07 AM
Mikebourg,
Geez, you must have lived down the road from me! I live on Bonin road in the little "Crest Circle" subdivision. Yeah, oilfield related, just the normal 2 year transfer the company does. They like to keep us moving in the service industry...
Just sold the house. From the move I can just about guess who you worked for..operator right? I suppose you heard that Unocal and Conoco are leaving for Houston as well??

Good luck to you over there. Just think, you only have a 3 hr drive to get back to Mardi Gras!!

Old 02-01-2001, 01:13 AM
rockOFFROAD, the block heater is your best option. Not many circulating heaters in use up here because the pumps don't hold up. The ones I have seen are conected to the heater hose and it's just another place that can cause a coolant leak. If you don't use synthetic oil an pan heater will help keep the oil warm and ready to flow, makes startup easier on the engine and starter/battery. If you decide on the pan heater 75 watt should work, just use high temp silicon (the red stuff) it will stick like glue. Oh yea welcome to the Last Frontier, bring your fishing pole, Kenai has the best Salmon run in the state.

Old 02-01-2001, 01:33 PM
RockOFFROAD,
You're right. I lived in Hunter's Ridge off of Chemin Metarie. Man it's a small world. Good luck with your move. I actually was not in oilfield directly. I was a computer consultant and the work dropped off with the oil company moves. I had a shot at a great job in Compaq, so I took it! Listen to stephen muscio and bring your fishing pole!

------------------
2001 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, Dark Highland Green / Arizona Beige, Medium Parchment Leather (Captain's Chairs), 5.4L V8, 6 CD Changer, Rear Entertainment System, Rear Slider, 3.55 Limited Slip, Tow Package, AirForce One FIPK, Bedrug, Extang Tuff Tonno III, DRLs, Bed Extender.

Next Mods - Superchip, Gibson Exhaust, Headers, Hellig Anti-Sway, Bug Deflector, Fog Lights, White Face Gauges, & New Speakers!
Future Wish List - Magnacharger!!

Old 02-02-2001, 12:08 AM
Thumbs up

Stephen Muscio,
Thanks for the insight, I was planning to switch to synthetic during the winter. Do you run synthetics in all components? (AT, T-case etc.)
I've hear the fishing is good, now I just need to find a place to hunt nearby!
Thanks for the welcome, I've spent several years away from my true home (Pennsylvania) and am looking forward to AK.

Mike Bourg,
Good luck in Houston, sounds like a great job! The oilfield is so up and down, might be better to be less dependant on it!

Old 02-02-2001, 01:32 AM
rockOFFROAD, I use synthetic in the engine,transfer case and front diff. I will change over to syn. in trans when I find a fluid that's mercon v compatible.
Don't fret there are some good hunts in your new area. I here there are plenty of moose, brown and black bear. I have only been down south for the salmon runs so not much personnal info on the hunting.

Old 02-04-2001, 09:10 AM
ford rules all,

i live in north jersey and my truck came with the block heater. i have not used it once, nor have i ever had any problem getting my truck started. this is the second winter my truck is going through. (save your money, then spend more on a f.i.p.k.)

------------------
mr k
_ ____________________ _
1999 f150 xlt ex-cab 4x4
4.6 triton v8
5 speed manual
3:55 rear
towing package
k&n f.i.p.k.
gibson ss swept side

Old 02-04-2001, 10:05 AM
Where is a couple of places one might buy a block heater?

------------------
1987 F-150 300 L6 4sp 2wd
K&N, flowmasters

Old 02-13-2001, 10:22 PM
Block Heaters are great for when you are doing shorter trips, or want to save on that early wear and tear on your engine. Early being that at first start up.

I can tell when I should be 'plugging in' here in Edm, AB. About -20C and she groans a fair bit at startup. I like to have it plugged in even if for only a couple hours before I start it up.

Block heaters should be avail from any dealer, they look a lot like a smaller version of the coil inside and electric tea pot. They just go into a frost plug on the block and are ready to go, after replacing some coolant.

Took me about 45 mins to put one on my gf's golf.

Bambino

------------------
Bambino Online
Owners Gallery Truck #179
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; twin 6" kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust

Quick Reply: Block Heater